- UT Library Catalog | Reserves
- Library Record (Renewals)
- Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad)
- Online Journals List
- Research Databases
...find articles and more!
- OhioLINK Homepage
Topic & Course Guides
Assistant Professor of Library Administration/Digital Initiatives Librarian
419-530-4497 (Canaday Center)
- M. L. I. S., Wayne State University, Detroit, 2003
- Graduate Certificate in Archival Administration, Wayne State University, Detroit, 2003
- M.A. University of Michigan, 1996; California State University, Northridge, 1994
- B.A. California State University, Northridge, 1994
Arjun Sabharwal joined the University of Toledo Library faculty in January 2009 as Digital Initiatives Librarian responsible for the digital preservation of archival collections and managing the Toledo's Attic Web site, and as Coordinator of Digital Initiatives, responsible for the planning and implementation of the UTOPIA digital repository and archival projects throughout the University of Toledo. Current directions include digital/interdisciplinary humanities, digital history, and developing thematic research collections. Sabharwal's digital scholarship activities includes an international blog on ResearchGate: Digital Humanities and Archiving. Previous experiences include working as Remote Services Librarian and Adjunct Faculty at Baker Online and Center for Graduate Studies. Teaching experience since 1988.
Sabharwal, Arjun."Toledo's Attic: A Collaborative Digital History Project.” Northwest Ohio History, Vol. 81, no. 1 (Fall 2013): 1-23.
———. "Networked Co-Curation in Virtual Museums: Digital Humanities, History, and Social Media in the Toledo’s Attic Project." International Journal of Heritage in the Digital Era, Vol. 1, no. 4 (2012): 587-610.
———. “Digital Representations of Disability History: Developing a Virtual exhibition at the Ward M. Canaday Center, University of Toledo.” Archival Issues: Journal of the Midwest Archives Conference, vol. 34, no. 1 (2012)
———. “More Than Meets The Ear.” Recorded Sound, Spring 2012. http://www2.archivists.org/groups/recorded-sound-roundtable.
———. “Knowledge domain navigation in interdisciplinary digital landscapes.” Journal of Library Metadata, vol 11, no. 2 (May 2011): 63-82.
———. “Digital Directions in Academic Knowledge Management: Opportunities and Visions for Digital Initiatives at the University of Toledo.” Presentation and Contributed Paper, annual conference of the Special Libraries Association, New Orleans, LA, June 16, 2010.
———. “Metadata Development Strategies in the Development of Digital Libraries using Greenstone Digital Library Software.” Presentation, annual conference of the Ohio Valley Group of Technical Services Librarians, Morehead State University, Morehead, KY, May 20, 2010.Sabharwal, Arjun. “Archival Database Management System Underway at Canaday Center.” Archives Management Roundtable Newsletter, July 2009, http://www.archivists.org/saagroups/archmgmt/ Jul09.pdf.
———. Accessing Minds Through Digital Initiatives. UT-AAUP Bulletin, no. 4 (May 2009), http://www.utaaup.com/accessing.html.
———. Library Space Cadets: Hanging with the RSS, MySpace, and second Life Crowd. Michigan Libraries 72, no. 6: 12 (November/December 2007), http://www.mla.lib.mi.us/files/mlibraries20071112.pdf.
Sabharwal, Arjun. “Structured Ontologies and Content Metadata in eLearning Management Systems.” Presentation, annual conference of the Michigan Blackboard User Group, Mount Pleasant, MI, October 19, 2007.
———. Digital Diversity: Building Multicultural Digital Collections. Peer/2/Peer 5, no. 1: 7 (February 2006), http://www.mla.lib.mi.us/files/LTDP2P_2006I1.pdf.
———. Digitizing Michigan: Update on Statewide Digitization Projects. Peer/2/Peer 5, no. 1: 6 (February 2006), http://www.mla.lib.mi.us/files/LTDP2P_2006I1.pdf.
———. Vision and Strategy Towards The Course-Embedded Library: New Possibilities For a ‘Virtual Carrel’ Initiative. MLA Forum 4, no. 2 (December 15, 2005), http://www.mlaforum.org/volumeIV/issue2/article3.html
———. Developing Libraries Without Borders. Peer/2/Peer 4, no. 4: 1, 4 (August 2005), http://www.mla.lib.mi.us/files/LTDP2P_2005I4.pdf.
Sabharwal, Arjun, and Bátor Vámos-Tóth. Structural Onomastics, Geosemiology and Integrative Sciencing: Taking the Tamana Perspective. Migration & Diffusion 1, No. 7: 79-114 (July-September 2001). Revised electronic version (2008) archived at http://www.migration-diffusion.info/article.php?id=125
Also wrote reviews for Choice Online.
Mary Wallace and Arjun Sabharwal. "Digital Preservation: Starting and Managing a
Digital Preservation Program." Presentation, annual meeting and conference of the
Ohio Regional Association of Law Libraries (ORALL), October 17, 2013. Accessible at
Sabharwal, Arjun. "Networked Curation in Virtual Museums: Digital Humanities, History, and Social Media in the Toledo’s Attic Project." Presentation, Network Detroit: Digital Humanities Theory and Practice, September 27, 2013, Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, Michigan. http://nkelber.com/netdetroit/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/networkdetroit_sabharwal.pdf
———. "New Frameworks for Old Worlds: The Role of Archives and Special Collections in Popular Culture Scholarship." Presentation, National Annual Conference of the Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association, March 27-30, 2013, Washington DC. http://ncp.pcaaca.org/presentation/new-frameworks-old-worlds-role-archives-and-special-collections-popular-culture-scholar
———. "Medicine on the Maumee: Collaborative Exhibition and Curation of Medical History in Northwest Ohio." Presentation, Michigan Academy of Science Arts & Letters Annual Conference, March 21, 2013. Presentation collaboratively developed with Barbara Floyd.
Thomas Atwood, Alice Crosetto, Lucy Duhon, Gerald Natal, Arjun Sabharwal. "Who are you? Emerging professional identities and responsibilities" Presentation, Presentation, annual meeting of the Academic Library Association of Ohio, Wilmington, OH, October 23, 2012.
Sabharwal, Arjun. “Intertextuality, Heterodisciplinarity, and the Supernarrative in Digital Biography: Cultural Renaissance of a Popular Genre.” Presentation, National Annual Conference of the Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association, April 11-14, 2012, Boston. http://ncp.pcaaca.org/content/arjun-sabharwal.
———. “Archives-Faculty Collaboration on Developing a Video Digital Archive: Supporting Web-assisted and fully online courses.” Professional poster presentation at the Annual Meeting of the Society of American Archivists, August 22-27, 2011. Chicago.
Floyd, Barbara, Brownlee, Kimberly H., and Sabharwal, Arjun. “Invisible Cultures: Discovering the Hidden History of People with Disabilities.” Presentation, annual meeting of the Midwest Archives Conference, Chicago, April 24, 2010.
Sabharwal, Arjun. “Toledo’s ‘High-Tech’ Attic: New Opportunities in Networked Outreach Programs.” Presentation, annual meeting of the Academic Library Association of Ohio, Wilmington, OH, October 30, 2009.
Brownlee, Kimberly H., and Arjun Sabharwal. “From Institution to Independence: A History of People with Disabilities in Northwest Ohio.” Presentation, Spring Conference of the Society of Ohio Archivists, Columbus, OH, May 21, 2009.
Sabharwal, Arjun. "Do-It-Yourself Genealogy: Start-out Techniques." Lecture, Baker Online & Center for Graduate Studies, Flint, MI, May 14, 2008.
———. “Library Partnership in Start-up Businesses.” Lecture, Baker Online & Center for Graduate Studies, Flint, MI, May 17, 2007.
Sabharwal, Arjun, and Michelle Allen. “Serving the Virtual Client: Electronic Content, Service, and Benchmarks for Improved Performance in the Academic Virtual Library.” Presentation, annual conference of the Michigan Library Association, Lansing MI, November 8, 2007.
Sabharwal, Arjun. “Plagiarism Detection: Tools and Techniques.” Presentation, Online Faculty Conference, Baker Online & Center for Graduate Studies, Flint, MI, June 15, 2007.
———. “Virtual Liaisons: Interdepartmental Collaboration and the Virtual Classroom.” Presentation, annual conference of the Michigan Blackboard User Group, Southfield, MI, September 28, 2006.
———. The “Virtual Carrel” Initiative at Baker: Proposed Model for Course-Integrated Library Services. Poster presented at the annual conference of the Michigan Library Association, Grand Rapids, MI, October 26, 2005.
- University of Toledo, Institutional Open Access Steering Group (Fall 2011)
- University of Toledo, Banned Books Committee (Fall 2010-Present)
- University of Toledo Libraries, Faculty Affairs Committee (2010-2012)
- University of Toledo, President's Commission on the River (2010-2011)
- University of Toledo Libraries, Digital Initiatives Task Force (2009-2010)
- University of Toledo Libraries, eLibrary Services Task Force (2009-2010)
- OhioLink, Encoded Archival Description (EAD) Task Force (2013-2015)
- OhioLINK, Digital Resources Management Committee
- DRC Migration Task Force (Winter-Summer 2013), Chair
- DRC/USC Commercial Resource migration Task Force, member (Spring-Summer, 2013)
- Metadata Task Force, Chair (Fall 2010-Present)
- Digital Preservation Standards Task Force (2011-Present)
- Liaison Assistance Sub-committee (2009-2010)
- User Services Liaison (Volunteer, 2009-2010)
- Naxos Music Project (Volunteer, 2009)
- Toledo's Attic Steering Committee: Content Administrator (2009-Present)
- Association for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T), Michigan Chapter, Intern Chair (2012-present)
- Lucas County Board Collaborative (2012)
- Special Libraries Association, Taxonomy Division, Fall 2009-2012)
- Strategic Planning Committee (Member, 2009-2012)
- Web & Wiki Committee (Chair, 2009-2012)
- Division Archivist and Archives Committee Chair (2009-2012)
- Listserv Administrator (2009-2012)
- Special Library Association, Michigan Chapter: Director (2009 & 2010)
- Michigan Library Association, Web Advisory Committee (2006-08)
- Michigan Library Association, Library Technology Division (2004-06)
- American Society for Information Science & Technology, Michigan Chapter: Webmaster & Discussion List Administrator (2004-06)