Arjun Sabharwal, M.A., M.L.I.S., Grad. Cert. Archival Administration
Associate Professor of Library Administration/Digital Initiatives Librarian
419-530-4497 (Canaday Center)
- M. L. I. S., Wayne State University, Detroit, 2003
- Graduate Certificate in Archival Administration, Wayne State University, Detroit, 2003
- M.A. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1996; California State University, Northridge, 1994
- B.A. California State University, Northridge, 1994
Arjun Sabharwal joined the University of Toledo Library faculty in January 2009 as Digital Initiatives Librarian responsible for the digital preservation of archival collections, managing the Toledo's Attic Web site, and managing the University of Toledo Digital Repository. Current interests include digital humanities, digital curation, and developing thematic research collections. Sabharwal's digital scholarship activities includes an international blog on ResearchGate: Digital Humanities and Archiving. Teaching experience since 1988: World Music, Music History, Humanities, Music Bibliography, private guitar instruction, and Information Literacy.
Sabharwal, Arjun. "The Transformative Role of Institutional Repositories in Academic Knowledge Management," in Bhojaraju Gunjal, Ed. Managing Knowledge and Scholarly Assets in Academic Libraries. Hershey, PA: IGI Global, 2017 [In Press]
———. Digital Curation in the Digital Humanities: Preserving and Promoting Archival and Special Collections. Oxford, UK: Chandos Publishing, 2015
———. "Toledo's Attic: A Collaborative Digital History Project.” Northwest Ohio History, Vol. 81, no. 1 (Fall 2013): 1-23.
———. "Networked Co-Curation in Virtual Museums: Digital Humanities, History, and Social Media in the Toledo’s Attic Project." International Journal of Heritage in the Digital Era, Vol. 1, no. 4 (2012): 587-610.
———. “Digital Representations of Disability History: Developing a Virtual exhibition at the Ward M. Canaday Center, University of Toledo.” Archival Issues: Journal of the Midwest Archives Conference, vol. 34, no. 1 (2012)
———. “More Than Meets The Ear.” Recorded Sound, Spring 2012. http://www2.archivists.org/groups/recorded-sound-roundtable.
———. “Knowledge domain navigation in interdisciplinary digital landscapes.” Journal of Library Metadata, vol 11, no. 2 (May 2011): 63-82.
———. “Digital Directions in Academic Knowledge Management: Opportunities and Visions for Digital Initiatives at the University of Toledo.” Presentation and Contributed Paper, annual conference of the Special Libraries Association, New Orleans, LA, June 16, 2010.
———. “Metadata Development Strategies in the Development of Digital Libraries using Greenstone Digital Library Software.” Presentation, annual conference of the Ohio Valley Group of Technical Services Librarians, Morehead State University, Morehead, KY, May 20, 2010.Sabharwal, Arjun. “Archival Database Management System Underway at Canaday Center.” Archives Management Roundtable Newsletter, July 2009, http://www.archivists.org/saagroups/archmgmt/ Jul09.pdf.
———. Accessing Minds Through Digital Initiatives. UT-AAUP Bulletin, no. 4 (May 2009), http://www.utaaup.com/accessing.html.
Also writes reviews for CHOICE Reviews Online since 2010
Sabharwal, Arjun. "Virtual Exhibitions in the DH Context: Community-Centered Digital Curation (Panel E)." Presented at Network Detroit: Digital Humanities Theory and Practice, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, September 2016.
———."Curating Sister City Heritage: A Virtual Exhibition on Toledo's Sister Cities." Presented at the Annual Conference of the Michigan Academy of Science, Arts, and Letters, Saginaw Valley State University, Saginaw, MI. March 2016.
———."Structuring Collections in Digital Archives." Presented at Network Detroit: Digital Humanities Theory and Practice, Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, MI, September 2015.
———."Digital Curation of Archival and Special Collections." Presented at the Annual Conference of the Michigan Academy of Science, Arts, and Letters, Andrews University, Berien Springs, MI. March 2015.
———.“Digital Biography: Intertextuality, New Media, and Curating Lives Online.” Presented at Network Detroit: Digital Humanities Theory and Practice, Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, MI, September 2014.
Sabharwal, Arjun, with Keith Manecke, Andrew Harris; and Stefan Langer. “Moving On Up! Migrating Digital Collections and Catalogs to New Platforms.” Presented at the Annual Conference of the Society of Ohio Archivists. Dublin, OH, May 2014.
———. “Opportunities and Challenges in Accessioning Personal Digital Archives.” Presented at Personal Digital Archiving Annual Conference, Indianapolis, IN, April, 2014.
———. “Social networks’ impact on digital heritage collections.” Presented at the Annual Conference of the Michigan Academy of Science, Arts, and Letters, Oakland University, Rochester Hills, MI. February 2014
Mary Wallace and Arjun Sabharwal. "Digital Preservation: Starting and Managing a
Digital Preservation Program." Presentation, annual meeting and conference of the
Ohio Regional Association of Law Libraries (ORALL), October 17, 2013. Accessible at
Sabharwal, Arjun. "Networked Curation in Virtual Museums: Digital Humanities, History, and Social Media in the Toledo’s Attic Project." Presentation, Network Detroit: Digital Humanities Theory and Practice, September 27, 2013, Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, Michigan. http://nkelber.com/netdetroit/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/networkdetroit_sabharwal.pdf
———. "New Frameworks for Old Worlds: The Role of Archives and Special Collections in Popular Culture Scholarship." Presentation, National Annual Conference of the Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association, March 27-30, 2013, Washington DC. http://ncp.pcaaca.org/presentation/new-frameworks-old-worlds-role-archives-and-special-collections-popular-culture-scholar
———. "Medicine on the Maumee: Collaborative Exhibition and Curation of Medical History in Northwest Ohio." Presentation, Michigan Academy of Science Arts & Letters Annual Conference, March 21, 2013. Presentation collaboratively developed with Barbara Floyd.
Thomas Atwood, Alice Crosetto, Lucy Duhon, Gerald Natal, Arjun Sabharwal. "Who are you? Emerging professional identities and responsibilities" Presentation, Presentation, annual meeting of the Academic Library Association of Ohio, Wilmington, OH, October 23, 2012.
Sabharwal, Arjun. “Intertextuality, Heterodisciplinarity, and the Supernarrative in Digital Biography: Cultural Renaissance of a Popular Genre.” Presentation, National Annual Conference of the Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association, April 11-14, 2012, Boston. http://ncp.pcaaca.org/content/arjun-sabharwal.
———. “Archives-Faculty Collaboration on Developing a Video Digital Archive: Supporting Web-assisted and fully online courses.” Professional poster presentation at the Annual Meeting of the Society of American Archivists, August 22-27, 2011. Chicago.
Floyd, Barbara, Brownlee, Kimberly H., and Sabharwal, Arjun. “Invisible Cultures: Discovering the Hidden History of People with Disabilities.” Presentation, annual meeting of the Midwest Archives Conference, Chicago, April 24, 2010.
Sabharwal, Arjun. “Toledo’s ‘High-Tech’ Attic: New Opportunities in Networked Outreach Programs.” Presentation, annual meeting of the Academic Library Association of Ohio, Wilmington, OH, October 30, 2009.
Brownlee, Kimberly H., and Arjun Sabharwal. “From Institution to Independence: A History of People with Disabilities in Northwest Ohio.” Presentation, Spring Conference of the Society of Ohio Archivists, Columbus, OH, May 21, 2009.
service to the University
- University of Toledo, Search Committee: Costume Technology Lecturer (Fall 2015)
- University of Toledo Libraries, Digital Repository Task Forces (2013-Present, Chair since 2015)
- University of Toledo Libraries, Elections & Bylaws Committee (2013-16; Chair: 2015-16)
- University of Toledo Libraries, Search Committee: Manuscript Librarian (Fall 2014)
- University of Toledo Libraries, Search Committee: Curator/Assistant University Archivist (Fall 2014)
- University of Toledo, Search Committee: Theatre Management Lecturer (Summer 2014)
- University of Toledo, Open Access Steering Group (Fall 2011)
- University of Toledo, Banned Books Committee (Fall 2010-Present)
- University of Toledo Libraries, Faculty Affairs Committee (2010-2012, 2013-15; Chair: 2014-15)
- University of Toledo, President's Commission on the River (2010-2011)
- University of Toledo Libraries, Digital Initiatives Task Force (2009-2010)
- University of Toledo Libraries, eLibrary Services Task Force (2009-2010)
service to the community
- Toledo Sister Cities, Toledo-Szeged Committee, 2015-Present
- OhioLink, Encoded Archival Description (EAD) Task Force (2013)
- OhioLINK, Digital Resources Management Committee (2009-2013):DRC Migration Task Force (Winter-Summer 2013), Chair; DRC/USC Commercial Resource migration Task Force, member (Spring-Summer, 2013);Metadata Task Force, Chair (Fall 2010-Present); Digital Preservation Standards Task Force (2011-Present); Liaison Assistance Sub-committee (2009-2010); User Services Liaison (Volunteer, 2009-2010);Naxos Music Project (Volunteer, 2009)
- Toledo's Attic Steering Committee: Content Administrator (2009-Present)
- Association for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T), Michigan Chapter, Intern Chair (2012-present)
service to the profession
- American Society for Information Science & Technology, Arts & Humanities SIG Webmaster, 2015-Present
- American Society for Information Science & Technology, Michigan Chapter: Webmaster & Discussion List Administrator (2004-06); Chair, 2013-15
- Special Libraries Association, Taxonomy Division, Fall 2009-2012):Strategic Planning Committee (Member, 2009-2012);Web & Wiki Committee (Chair, 2009-2012); Division Archivist and Archives Committee Chair (2009-2012);Listserv Administrator (2009-2012)
- Special Library Association, Michigan Chapter: Director (2009 & 2010)
- Michigan Library Association, Web Advisory Committee (2006-08)
- Michigan Library Association, Library Technology Division (2004-06)