1998 - 2000 Catalog Archive

Academic Regulations

Responsibility of Graduate Students

The graduate student is advised and expected to become familiar with academic regulations of the University and the particular requirements of the specific educational program. The student is solely responsible for complying with all regulations of the University, the Graduate School and the department of instruction, and for meeting all requirements for the degree. The student should consult with the adviser in the event that there is any question concerning the requirements for the degree. The student should determine that proper prerequisites for each course to be taken have been met. Regulations of the Graduate Faculty require that graduate students maintain (a) a GPA of 3.0 on a 12-point system for all courses completed and (b) an average of 3.0 on a 12-point system for courses completed in the department of specialization. Students whose GPA falls below 3.0 on the 12-point scale are subject to dismissal from Graduate School. Grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, and F are used in determining GPAs. A grade of below a "C" (2.0) in a graduate course is unsatisfactory and will not satisfy the academic requirements in a graduate program of study. Therefore, any graduate course in which a grade of below a "C" was achieved will not be permitted on the Plan of Study. Grades below a "C" will continue to be counted in determining the cumulative GPA.

For individual study, master and doctoral thesis, and/or dissertations and other projects at the graduate level, the letters PR may be used for work in progress. The PR letter grade will not be considered in the GPA. A grade of "I", which is given for all other work not completed on time, is calculated in the GPA as an "F". A limited number of special graduate courses are grades "S" (satisfactory) or "U" (unsatisfactory) upon completion. A grade of "S" will allow for graduate credit to be earned, while a grade of "U" will be processed as an "F."

Courses for Graduate Study

Credit toward a graduate degree is given for completion of courses designed for graduate students (5000 level and over). If a student does not qualify for admission to the Graduate School the student may take work in the undergraduate program as an Undergraduate With Degree (UWD) but will not be classified as a graduate student.


The Graduate School of The University of Toledo places a high priority on a program of faculty advising for students. After a student has been accepted for graduate study by the Graduate School, an adviser is appointed. The student should take up questions concerning the program with the adviser and seek advice each semester prior to the time of registration. Early in their programs, master's students should consult with their advisers and prepare a "Plan of Study". This plan must be approved by the adviser and submitted to the Graduate School for approval before the student can receive a degree. In addition, early in the program and before embarking on research for the master's thesis, project or doctoral dissertation, the student must file with the Graduate School "Notice of Thesis or Project," or the "Doctoral Program Proposal" and all accompanying compliance forms.

Assurance of Compliance

All graduate students engaging in project, thesis and dissertation research are required to submit a completed "Assurances of Compliance with Applicable Federal and State Regulations Governing Research" form to the Graduate School.

This form normally should be completed at the time the student determines the nature of the research project. However, in all cases, the student must have submitted the form demonstrating compliance before engaging in related research. Failure to obtain the proper approvals could prevent or significantly delay the awarding of the degree. The form is available in the Graduate School.

Students who work on projects sponsored by external entities are required to comply with all contractual terms, including the confidentiality of data or other information received from the sponsor or developed within the scope of the project by the university researchers.

Minimum Enrollment

Graduate students who have completed their coursework and are working on their project, thesis, or dissertation and/or who are using University facilities and services (i.e., the library, health services, computer services, laboratories, consult with faculty, apply for graduation, etc.) must register for a minimum of one graduate credit hour each semester, excluding summer terms. However, students who apply for graduation during the summer term also must be registered for a minimum of one graduate credit hour. Access to certain other facilities and services, such as the Student Recreation Center and parking, will require additional user fees.

Transfer of Credits

Graduate work completed in residence at other academically accredited institutions may be offered in partial fulfillment of the requirements, other than residence, for graduate degrees at The University of Toledo when the work is of acceptable quality and appropriate to the student's program. Application for transfer of credit must be made to the student's adviser. The department/college will communicate its recommendation to the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies. The student may obtain advance approval from the adviser to take work elsewhere while enrolled at The University of Toledo. All graduate credits requested for transfer must carry a grade of A, A-, B+, or B. Credit for an "S" grade may be transferred for grade only if the grading institution verifies that the "S" translates into a grade of B or higher. Application for transfer of credit must be completed as soon as the credits have been earned. As a rule, a total of 10 semester hours may be accepted for transfer by master's candidates.

A student who has obtained one master's degree at The University of Toledo and elects to take a second master's degree at The University of Toledo may use up to 12 semester hours from the first master's if the course work is appropriate for the student's program.

Probation and Dismissal from Graduate Programs

A graduate student must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 for all graduate courses taken in order to be in good standing and to make adequate progress toward the degree. Whenever the GPA falls below 3.0 the student is placed on academic probation and must within the next semester of enrollment correct the GPA deficiency. Failing to do so may result in dismissal from the Graduate School and the program of study. Please consult with graduate advisers in the individual programs of study concerning other academic requirements necessary for graduation.

Foreign Language Requirement

The student is required to meet the foreign language requirement of the specific department or college. Applications for the examination are available in the Graduate School.

Master's Thesis

Certain departments specify the submission of a thesis as a requirement for the master's degree. If a thesis is required, the title must be reported to the department concerned, the college dean and the Graduate School. The title of the master's thesis must be filed not later than one semester prior to the expected date of graduation. The title of each thesis must be approved by the student's adviser. The original of the thesis and one copy, both signed by the adviser, must be in the Graduate School office 30 days prior to graduation. To assist students in the preparation of the thesis or project, a handbook is available in the Graduate School.

Admission to Candidacy for the Ph.D. Degree

Atthe time a student applies for admission to candidacy, the following requirements must be fulfilled: (a) a GPA of 3.0 on a 12-point system for all courses completed and for courses completed in the department of specialization, and (b) satisfactory completion of the examination requirements of the specific college of department. Application forms are available at the Graduate School office. It is the student's responsibility to initiate the application to candidacy. Admission to candidacy shall be recorded on the student's permanent record. A student who fails to qualify for candidacy at the required time will not be permitted to continue.

Doctoral Dissertation

All departments require a dissertation in partial fulfillment of the doctoral degree. It should constitute an original work of a scholarly nature. It is the responsibility of the student to meet the requirements for the dissertation as stipulated by the department and college conferring the degree. The original of the dissertation and two copies, all signed by the adviser(s) and/or appropriate committee members, must be in the Graduate School office 30 days prior to graduation. All dissertations are microfilmed at the expense of the student. Copyrighting is available but not required. To assist students in the preparation of the dissertation, a handbook is available in the Graduate School.

Outside Readers on the Dissertation Committee

One member of the dissertation committee must be from outside the student's department or college. The Chairperson of the dissertation committee recommends the outside reader to the Graduate School for final approval.

Participation in Commencement Exercises and Awarding Diplomas

Students must apply for graduation on a "Formal Application for Degree" form filed with the Graduate School by the time of the published deadline. This deadline is usually in the beginning of the semester in which the student plans to graduate. The official diploma will be issued approximately 2 weeks after the commencement following the semester in which the student completes the degree requirements. The University graduation exercises are conducted to honor those who have earned their degrees. The graduate is encouraged to attend the commencement exercises. Academic dress with appropriate hoods shall be worn by the candidates. Arrangements for academic dress must be made through the Bookstore well in advance of commencement. The student should contact the Bookstore early in the semester of graduation.

Review of Graduation Requirements

The following is only a partial list of graduation requirements. Please check with your adviser or the Graduate School for additional information. You must be registered for a minimum of 1 credit hour during the semester in which you apply for graduation.

1.Submit an "Application for Degree" (must be completed in the beginning of the semester you intend to graduate; if the planned graduation is not accomplished, you must file a new application and pay the $20 application fee again).

2.Submit a "Plan of Study" early in the program.

3.Submit "Application to Candidacy" for the Ph.D. degree.

4.Submit a "Notice of Thesis, Project or Dissertation Proposal" to the Graduate School.

5.Submit the "Assurance of Compliance" form before beginning research.

6.Submit the original and one copy of the thesis or project to the Graduate School; the original and two copies of the dissertation.

7.Have all PR's removed from your transcript.

8.You must be admitted as a regular student in the department and college.

9.You must have attained a cumulative 3.0 GPA.

10. You must be registered for at least 1 credit hour during the semester in which you apply for graduation.

11. All outstanding fees and fines must be paid.

12. Contact Information Technology if you have a computer account.

Minimum Earned Hours Required for Graduation

Under the semester system, the university will require a student to earn a minimum of 30 semester hours for the Master's degree and 90 semester hours for the Doctoral degree. Students should contact the department for the actual number of required credit hours for a specific degree program.

Courses Reserved for Graduate Credit

A senior who does not require a full schedule for the completion of baccalaureate degree requirements at The University of Toledo may enroll in courses for graduate credit. In such cases the total schedule is not to exceed 12 semester hours of work. An application for admission must be filed with the Graduate School before the beginning of the semester. This procedure is possible only where the academic record reveals unusual scholastic ability.

Residence Requirements for the Ph.D. and Ed.D. Degrees

Two consecutive semesters of full-time work must be completed at the University in order to fulfill requirements for the Ph.D. degree. For the Ed.D. degree, residence requirements are the same as those for the Ph.D. degree, or they may be fulfilled by the completion, at the University, of two consecutive full-time summer semesters.

Time Limitations for Degrees

The credit applied toward the master's degree must have been earned within the period of six years immediately preceding the time the degree is awarded. In the doctoral programs, a maximum study period of seven years is allowed previous to the time the degree is awarded. In the event the above requirements constitute a hardship on an individual student, a written petition may be presented to the Graduate School for consideration.

Academic Grievance Procedure for Graduate Students

Inthe event that a graduate student has an academic grievance he or she should attempt to resolve the problem by adhering to the following procedure:

1.Discuss the problem with the instructor involved.

2.If no resolution can be achieved, the student should present his or her grievance to the chairperson of the department.

3.If the problem is still not resolved, the student should see the Dean of the college.

4.If a resolution has been unsuccessful at the college dean's level, the student may present the grievance to the Graduate School.

5.The final appeal can be made to the Committee on Academic Standing of the Graduate Council and its decision shall be binding on all parties involved in the grievance.

Insteps 1 through 4 above, a resolution of the grievance is sought by achieving a consensus on the part of all involved in the grievance. If the process reaches step 5, the Academic Standing Committee of the Graduate Council renders a final decision based upon all of the evidence presented. The Committee's decision shall be binding on all parties involved in the grievance.

Note: Graduate students must file the initial grievance with the instructor and a copy to the department no later than one semester after the occurrence of the incident. If students desire to proceed to the next level of appeal, they must file within one month of the last rendered decision until final resolution of the grievance.

Other Policies and Information

Other policies and information pertaining to graduate education may be found in the General Section of the University catalog and the college and departmental catalog sections. Graduate students are encouraged to obtain a copy of the Graduate Student Handbook prepared by the Graduate School and/or the individual college departments.

Last Updated: 6/27/22