Office of International Student and Scholar Services

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?

CPT is employment such as an internship or co-op which earns course credit and is intended to help students meet the requirements of their degree program. It is not intended for the purpose of gaining work experience or earning extra money.

  • It must be an integral part of an established curriculum and directly related to the student’s major area of study.
  • CPT is granted on a semester basis and students must be enrolled in CPT-related credit each semester CPT is requested.
  • CPT is authorized by a Designated School Official (DSO) in OISSS. DO NOT work before CPT is authorized or outside of your approved CPT dates indicated on page 2 of your I-20.

Am I Eligible for CPT?

  • You must have completed one academic year of study in the U.S.
  • You must be maintaining lawful F-1 status.
  • You must be in good academic standing.
  • You must be making progress toward degree completion. CPT may NOT be used after degree requirements are met or to delay degree completion.
  • You must be enrolled in a class for which CPT will be administered.

How Do I Apply for CPT?

  1. Register for CPT-related credit.
  2. Complete a CPT Request e-form online via iRocket Portal.
    • Part A completed by student
    • Upload employment letter with the following information:

✓  Position title

✓  Position description

✓  Salary or hourly wage

✓  Number of hours that will be worked per week

✓  Start and end dates

    • Part B recommendation completed by Advisor
      • No advisor recommendation, no CPT

3.  Allow 3-5 business days for a DSO approve or deny your request.

    • It’s recommended to submit your request at least two weeks before you are hoping to start working, in case more information is needed for approval.

Can CPT be Used for Part-time or Full-time Employment?

  • May be part-time or full-time, depending on curricular requirements
    • Part-time CPT (20 or less hours)
      • May be granted as necessary for degree completion, any semester.
      • Must be supplemented by a full course of study during Fall/Spring (12 credit hours for undergraduate, 9 credit hours for graduate).
    • Full-time CPT (21 or more hours)
      • May be granted during summer vacation.
      • May only be granted during Fall/Spring if required by degree program.
      • Using more than 364 days of full-time CPT makes you ineligible for OPT!
Last Updated: 7/17/24