What to do in the event of a UTILITY (POWER) OUTAGE
In the event of a major, campus-wide outage, the University of Toledo has emergency generators that will restore power to some areas of campus. To report a minor, localized power outage during business hours, dial x-1000 on the Main Campus or x-5353 on the Health Science Campus. After regular business hours, contact UT Police at x-2600. Keep a flashlight and batteries in key locations throughout your work areas and dorm room.
In case of a major, campus-wide power outage:
- Remain calm.
- Follow directions from UT Police for immediate action.
- If evacuation of a building is required, seek out persons with special needs and provide assistance.
- Laboratory personnel should secure all experiments, unplug electrical equipment, and shut off research gases prior to evacuating. All chemicals should be stored in their original locations. Fully open fume hoods. If this is not possible or natural ventilation is inadequate, evacuate the laboratory until the power is returned.
- Do not light candles or other types of flames for lighting.
- Unplug all electrical equipment (including computers) and turn off the light switches.
If people are trapped in an elevator:
- Tell the passengers to stay calm and that you are getting help.
- Call UT Police at x-2600 and provide the necessary information.
- Stay near the passengers until police or other assistance arrives, provided it is safe to stay in the building.
- Discourage people who are trapped from smoking.