Department of Educational Studies

Education Specialist in Curriculum and Instruction

Students in classThe Ed.S. in Curriculum and Instruction is designed to meet the needs of individuals involved with the curriculum, teaching and supervision aspects of discipline-centered areas of study. The degree provides patterns of study for teachers and supervisors who want an education beyond the master’s degree as a specialist, but who are not interested in a doctoral degree.  Specific areas represented are educational technology, elementary education, early childhood education, secondary education, special education and career and technical education.

  • Admission to the College of Graduate Studies
  • A baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year institution. However, if you are planning to teach in P-12 schools, you must have a teaching licensure in a specific subject area or discipline.
  • A masters degree
  • Minimum GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale for all previous undergraduate work

Apply to the College of Graduate Studies. You will need to submit these materials:

  • Official transcripts from all institutions of higher education 
  • Purpose statement describing your background and goals as well as the importance of the degree in achieving these goals
  • Three letters of reference
  • Additional materials are required for international students  
  • In consultation with an advisor, completion of a minimum of 30 semester hours of graduate coursework beyond the master’s level with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
  • All course work for the Ed.S. must be taken within a six-year period.
  • Programs require the completion of a culminating experience, which may include field experiences, internships, or other professional projects (e.g., CI 7940, CIEC 7940) 
  • No more than six semester hours of credit from workshops (5/7950), problems or special topics courses (5/7980 or 6/8980) and independent studies (5/7990 or 6/8990) may be applied to a specialist’s program.

Students are required to develop a plan of study with their adviser that specifies the coursework that must be completed to fulfill degree requirements.  This plan must be filed prior to the completion of 15 semester hours and must be approved by the adviser, the college associate dean for graduate programs and research and the Graduate School.

Want more information? 


Call (419) 530-5371 or email


Last Updated: 10/1/19