Mechanical, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering

Fundamentals of Engineering Exam

What is the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam?

The Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam is the next step in getting a Professional Engineers (PE) license after earning a Bachelors's degree in an Engineering field (including BSME) at UToledo. 

What is a Professional Engineer?

A Professional Engineer (PE) license is a state-issued license similar to the CPA for accountants or law license for lawyers. Only a licensed engineer may prepare, sign and seal, and submit engineering plans and drawings to a public authority for approval, or seal engineering work for public and private clients.

Do I need a PE License?

To get a job in most engineering fields, including mechanical engineering, no. However, if your career goals include becoming a consulting engineer or a private practitioner, or starting your own engineering firm, then starting the process by taking the Fundamentals of Engineering exam is a good idea. 

How do I become a Professional Engineer?

Each state has it's own laws and licensing boards. In general, the process is:

  • Earn a four-year degree in engineering from an accredited engineering program. The Mechanical Engineering program at UToledo is ABET Accredited and successful completion satisfies the academic requirements for PE credentials in Ohio.
  • Pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
  • Complete four years of progressive engineering experience under a PE
  • Pass the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam

When should I take the FE exam?

Near graduation or shortly after graduating when engineering concepts and study habits are fresh in your head. 

How do I take the FE exam?

Applications should be filed to meet published deadlines of the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying and the State Board of Registration in Columbus. Additional information is available in the Ohio Board of Professional Engineers and Surveyors or from the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES). 

As licensure requirements may vary by state, if you intend to practice in a state outside of Ohio, contact Dr. Matthew Franchetti in the office of undergraduate studies to discuss eligibility for licensure in that state.

How do I study for the FE exam?

The NCEES offers exam prep materials

Last Updated: 9/1/21