International Student

56% of international undergraduates receive a scholarship.

Scholarships are a great way to reduce your college costs because you don't have to pay them back.

You can earn scholarships for a host of reasons (being an engineering student or playing in the marching band) and from a variety of sources (UToledo, your bank, etc.).

The easiest way to get undergraduate scholarships - good grades

Merit scholarships are scholarships awarded to new and transfer undergraduates for good grades. You are automatically reviewed for merit scholarships when you apply for admission to UToledo. You don’t have to fill out any additional application.

Apply for admission to UToledo, and if you qualify, you get the scholarship.

International Rocket Award

Awarded to new international freshmen or transfer students
$7,500  3.0-3.49 cumulative higher education GPA at time of admission
$8,500  3.5 and higher cumulative higher education GPA at time of admission

Sister Cities Award

Awarded to new undergraduates who live in one of Toledo’s Sister Cities/Regions

Learn more about international merit scholarships

What if I don't qualify for merit scholarships?

Are there other scholarships I can apply for?

Yes. You may still apply for a host of other scholarships.

Our detailed scholarship page tells you more about:

  • Types of undergraduate and graduate scholarships
  • How to find them
  • How to apply

I’m ready to start my scholarship search

are you an eligible noncitizen?

Most international students are not eligible for federal financial aid, but if you are an eligible noncitizen, you may qualify for federal loans, grants and work study in addition to scholarships.

Generally, you are an eligible noncitizen if you are:

  • A permanent U.S. resident with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
  • A conditional permanent resident with a Conditional Green Card (I-551C)
  • The holder of an I-94 from the Department of Homeland Security, showing any one of these designations: Refugee, Asylum Granted, Parolee or T-Visa holder

If you are an eligible noncitizen, you may submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This free application determines your eligibility to receive federal loans, grants or work study. Review our FAFSA guide for step-by-step instructions on how to fill out the FAFSA.

Step-by-Step FAFSA Guide


  • October: Scholarship applications open
  • February - March: Deadline for most scholarship applications.
    NOTE: Deadlines vary. Double-check the dates in the scholarship database.
  • June 1: Donor scholarships are typically awarded by June 1.

↑ Back to Top

Have Questions?

Ask Rocket Solution Central.

Rocket Solution Central — or RSC — is your one-stop answer shop for financial aid questions.

Call 419.530.8700
Monday - Wednesday and Friday 9 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Thursday 10 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Visit 1200 Rocket Hall
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

No need to wait in line. Register through Rocket Q ahead of time or when you arrive. You'll receive wait-time updates and be notified when it's your turn.

Register by texting "University of Toledo" to 419.419.3430 or by entering your information online.

Rocket Financial Wellness Center

We could all use some help managing our money. Explore this site built in partnership with Huntington Bank. You’ll find simple, helpful tools to improve your money management skills ― whether you’re a high school student, undergraduate or upperclassman ready to graduate.

  • How to pay for college
  • Managing student loans
  • Making a budget
  • And more
Visit the Rocket Financial Wellness Center
Last Updated: 10/22/21