Degree Completion Requirements – Doctoral Students
Certain requirements must be satisfied if you are to graduate on schedule. In order to serve the many students applying for graduation each semester, the College of Graduate Studies must strictly enforce all necessary deadlines. It is the student's responsibility to ensure all requirements are fulfilled. Check with your advisor to ensure all department and college degree requirements have been met. If you have any questions about the requirements detailed below, please contact the College of Graduate Studies.
- Registered for a minimum of one graduate credit hour in the semester you apply to
graduate. Please note: Completion of an Incomplete or in Progress grade will not fulfill
the registration requirement. If your graduation is postponed for any reason, it will
be necessary to register for a minimum of one graduate credit hour during the semester
you re-apply for graduation.
- Official undergraduate transcripts must be on file in the College of Graduate Studies.
Masters transcripts on file if appropriate. If the degree was earned at The University
of Toledo, all items will be on file. International students must also provide their
diploma. Transcripts and diplomas must be provided in both English and the native
- Approved Plan of Study must be on file with the College of Graduate Studies. Courses on your Plan of Study
must appear on your transcript and have grades of ‘C’ or higher. Any changes to your
approved Plan of Study must be filed with the College of Graduate Studies either by
completion of a Course Substitution form or a revised Plan of Study. All coursework
must fall within the seven year time limitation to complete the doctoral degree. Any coursework that exceeds this time limit will
- Completed Application for Candidacy must be on file with the College of Graduate Studies.
- A completed Graduate Research Advisory (GRAD) Committee Approval & Assurances Form must be on file in the College of Graduate Studies.
- Submission of the Acceptance of Thesis or Dissertation for Defense, Intellectual Protection and Patent Sign-off, and Approval of Dissertation forms by the posted deadlines for the term the degree will be awarded. Composition of the committee must meet all
University guidelines. Document must be approved by your college and uploaded to OhioLINK by the posted deadline for the term the degree will be awarded. As your college may
have a separate deadline, earlier than the Graduate College deadline, please check
with your department to ensure all posted deadlines are met. Please be sure to use
the Manual for the Formatting of Graduate Theses and Dissertations available on-line for formatting requirements.
- Complete the on-line Graduate Student Exit Survey.
- Complete the on-line Survey of Earned Doctorates and ensure verification of Completion is sent to College of Graduate Studies by posted
deadline for the term.
- All grades must be posted. Incomplete and In-Progress grades must be removed from
- Attain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above.
- Payment of all outstanding fines and fees. If there are any outstanding fees, a hold will be placed on your account and your diploma and transcript cannot be mailed.
If you have any questions about these requirements, please contact the College of Graduate Studies, University Hall Room 3240. (419.530.4269 or GCAcademicSvcs@utoledo.edu).