Current Undergraduate Student

You may already know about the types of financial aid. But here’s a refresher just in case.

Financial aid comes in four basic types: scholarships, grants, loans and work-study.

You have to fill out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to qualify for any of this aid.

Even if you didn’t fill out a FAFSA or qualify for aid last year, it’s still worth your time to try again this year. Why?

  • Financial circumstances change.
  • You may want to take out loans, which require you to submit the FAFSA.
  • You may want to apply for additional scholarships, many of which require the FAFSA.


Scholarships are awarded based on all kinds of things — good grades or whether you’re majoring in astronomy. You don’t have to repay scholarships.

Search and apply for scholarships


Grants are usually need-based. No repayment required. They can come from the federal or state government, UToledo or a private organization.

Grant information


A loan is money you borrow and pay back with interest. Generally, federal government loans have lower interest and offer more flexibility than loans from banks or other sources. Always — and we can't stress this enough — do your homework. Know the terms and conditions and who is making the loan.

Loan Basics


You may qualify for a federal work-study job based on your financial need. Many of our campus employers hire work-study students. You also may find other jobs on or off campus to help pay tuition.

Work-study information

Summer Financial Aid

Are you thinking about taking summer classes? Most financial aid can be used for summer semesters. But you'll need to fill out a summer aid application.

Learn more about summer aid requirements and eligibility

What If My Financial Circumstances Change?

Sometimes your financial circumstances change mid-year. You may lose a job or have an unexpected emergency. Or we could be in the middle of a pandemic!

Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

  • File a Special Circumstances Application to appeal your aid if you or your family’s financial circumstances change after you file your FAFSA. The Financial Aid office will review your financial aid in light of the new information. This application is available only for undergraduates.
  • Apply for emergency funds. All you need to do is fill out a Rocket Aid application. The UToledo team will work with you to identify options to assist you. This includes funding available through federal relief programs and donors.
    • Rocket Aid is an emergency financial assistance fund available to those experiencing financial hardship.

↑ Back to Top

Have Questions?

Ask Rocket Solution Central.

Rocket Solution Central — or RSC — is your one-stop answer shop for financial aid questions.

Call 419.530.8700
Monday - Wednesday and Friday 9 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Thursday 10 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Visit 1200 Rocket Hall
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

No need to wait in line. Register through Rocket Q ahead of time or when you arrive. You'll receive wait-time updates and be notified when it's your turn.

Register by texting "University of Toledo" to 419.419.3430 or by entering your information online.

Financial Wellness

We could all use some help managing our money ― whether you’re a high school student, undergraduate or upperclassman ready to graduate.

UToledo's financial wellness team offers workshops, presentations and tools to help you improve your money management skills. You can even schedule an appointment with our counselor to discuss your personal financial plan.

  • How to pay for college
  • Managing student loans
  • Making a budget
  • And more
Financial Wellness Services
Last Updated: 8/18/23