Graduate or Professional Student

You have to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to receive federal loans, work-study or need-based scholarships.

Graduate and professional students are considered independent. Your parents’ financial information is not reported.

If you’re new to the FAFSA, we’ll walk you through step by step. If you get stuck, call Rocket Solution Central. Our expert staff can help.

Step-by-step FAFSA guide

FAFSA Timeline

Oct. 1: FAFSA opens for next award year
Feb. 1: UToledo’s priority FAFSA filing date
March through July: Summer Financial Aid application available

UToledo Federal School Code:


You must include this on your FAFSA so we get your info.


If your financial circumstances change after you file your FAFSA, you can apply for emergency funds. Fill out a Rocket Aid application. The UToledo team will work with you to identify options to assist you. This includes funding available through federal relief programs and donors.

  • Rocket Aid is an emergency financial assistance fund available to those experiencing financial hardship.


After submitting your FAFSA, you may be selected for a process called verification. In verification, we compare the information you reported on your FAFSA with additional documents we ask you to provide.

You will be notified through your Rocket email and by mail if you are chosen for verification and will be provided next steps.

Why was I chosen for verification?

  • A certain percentage of students are chosen randomly by the federal FAFSA processor for verification.
  • You may have conflicting information on the FAFSA that needs to be cleared up.

What do I need to do?

If your application is selected for verification we will request documents from you, which may include:

We will list all verification requirements in myUT:
Go to myUT → Student tab → My Financial Aid → Check Eligibility Status

We can’t release any of your financial aid until verification is fully complete.

Review detailed verification instructions


If you need financial aid for the summer term, you need to fill out a summer aid application.

You must have a FAFSA on file to receive federal or state aid. The summer term is officially the beginning of the new academic year. So if you filed a FAFSA to receive aid for the upcoming academic year, you don’t need to file again.

Learn more about summer aid requirements and eligibility

↑ Back to Top

Have Questions?

Ask Rocket Solution Central.

Rocket Solution Central — or RSC — is your one-stop answer shop for financial aid questions.

Call 419.530.8700
Monday - Wednesday and Friday 9 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Thursday 10 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Visit 1200 Rocket Hall
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

No need to wait in line. Register through Rocket Q ahead of time or when you arrive. You'll receive wait-time updates and be notified when it's your turn.

Register by texting "University of Toledo" to 419.419.3430 or by entering your information online.

Financial Wellness

We could all use some help managing our money ― whether you’re a high school student, undergraduate or upperclassman ready to graduate.

UToledo's financial wellness team offers workshops, presentations and tools to help you improve your money management skills. You can even schedule an appointment with our counselor to discuss your personal financial plan.

  • How to pay for college
  • Managing student loans
  • Making a budget
  • And more
Financial Wellness Services
Last Updated: 8/18/23