College of Graduate Studies

Passports and Visas

You will need a passport from your government and a visa from the United States Embassy/Consulate to enter the United States.  You should apply for a passport as soon as possible, although in some countries it is necessary to provide proof of admission to a school in the United States before a passport will be granted.

To apply for a visa, take your passport and Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20), issued by the College of Graduate Studies, plus proof of adequate financial support for your studies and living expenses, to the nearest United States Embassy/Consulate.

International students who apply for a student visa using an initial attendance Form I-20 will need to complete form I-901 and pay a SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System) fee to the Department of Homeland Security prior to the student visa interview.  The SEVIS fee is in addition to the Department of State's visa application fee, which is $100.  The U.S. Embassy/Consulate will have the latest SEVIS fee information, and may be able to advise you of any changes in immigration law that might affect your stay in the United States.

Students coming directly from another county on a student visa (F-1) are limited to entering the United States no earlier than 30 days before their I-20 start date.  Students already in school in the U.S. are not subject to this requirement; please see our school's Office of International Student Services for details.

Student Visa (F-1)

If you are coming to the United States with the primary purpose of enrolling full time in a program of study, and your funding is from private family sources or a university graduate assistantship, this is likely to be the visa you should use.  To apply for this visa, you should present to the U.S. consul a Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility from the University of Toledo, documentation that you have sufficient financial resources, your letter of admission and proof of payment of the SEVIS fee.  It may also be helpful to present a copy of your TOEFL score report, proof of professional and/or economic ties that would compel you to return to your home country and any forms or materials that document your previous studies in the United States.  Graduate-level F-1 students must also carry 12 credit hours per semester or full time equivalency.

Questions About your Application?

Visit Stranahan Hall, Room 1048
Mailing address
The University of Toledo
College of Graduate Studies
2801 W. Bancroft, MS 933
Toledo, OH 43606

Questions About Your Degree Progress?

Visit University Hall, Room 3240
Last Updated: 10/12/22