College of Nursing

Bachelor of Science in Nursing Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

The first step is application and admission as a pre-nursing B.S.N. student through The University of Toledo (UToledo)  Transfer students follow the same process. High School students are encouraged to apply early in the fall of the senior year. Please check with UToledo undergraduate admissions regarding admission requirements for pre-nursing.

Is there a separate application process for the upper division professional major? 

Admission to the upper division professional major involves a separate application process and is competitive. Minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 to be eligible to apply for the upper division professional major. Grades from all college courses determine GPA (college credit plus, PSO, repeated courses and all grade deleted courses). Admission is competitive. Completion of minimum requirements does not assure admission to the nursing major. Because the applicant pool varies each admission cycle, students are encouraged to strive for an excellent cumulative grade point average. Those students granted guarantee must maintain a UToledo GPA of 3.5 to qualify for a seat in the major.

Nursing advisors assist students in determining readiness for application to the upper division professional major. Applications for the upper division professional major will be completed through a B.S.N. Professional Major Application.

Is there an application deadline?

Yes, the college of nursing accepts students twice per year into the upper division professional major. Please contact a nursing advisor regarding the application process and application deadlines.

What constitutes an official college/university transcript?

The official transcript sent from the college of university has the college/university seal on the transcript and is sealed in a college/university envelope. Colleges/universities can also send official transcripts electronically.

Do I need to provide official transcripts for every college/university/nursing school attended?

Yes, official transcripts must be submitted to the student’s home university from each and every college/university a student attended. Transcripts should be mailed to the undergraduate admissions office.

Where do I live the four semesters while I am at The University of Toledo Health Science Campus? What about transportation?

Living arrangements are an individual preference. Upper division professional nursing students are considered UToledo students and may live in campus housing. Many students choose to reside off-campus since there are no residence facilities on the UToledo Health Science Campus. There are apartments within walking distance or a 5-10 minute drive. Transportation is the responsibility of the individual student.

What are the admission requirements for the upper division professional major?

To be considered for admission to the upper division professional major, the following requirements must be met:

  1. Completion of prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or higher (a grade of “C -“ is not acceptable): English Composition I and II, Psychology, Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Nutrition, Ethics, Statistics, Lifespan Psychology and Medical Terminology.  Prerequisite courses must be completed prior to matriculation in the major.
  2. Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 in all college course work. All post-secondary, transfer and higher education course work are used to calculate the cumulative GPA.   Students applying to the major in Fall 2022 may apply for up to 18 hours of grade deletion, per University Policy.  Those students granted guaranteed admission must maintain a UToledo GPA of 3.5 to qualify for a seat in the major.
  3. UToledo College of Nursing will guarantee four (4) upper division seats to Army ROTC UToledo students meeting the published admission requirements. 

University required courses in arts and humanities, social sciences and cultural diversity also require a grade of “C” or higher and must be completed prior to university graduation.

When do I come to The University of Toledo Health Science Campus?

Accepted students begin courses in the upper division professional nursing major two times per year. The student must accept the seat for semester offered; otherwise, student must reapply for admission. The upper division professional major consists of four semesters.

When do I start clinical?

Clinical begins in the first semester of the upper division professional nursing major. Varieties of settings are used to prepare students to provide care for a broad array of healthcare problems and approaches. Clinical placement is determined by the College of Nursing.

What is a criminal record check? 

Students are required to obtain BCII and FBI criminal record checks and are responsible for processing expenses. Students must declare and document misdemeanor and/or felony offenses prior to admission to the nursing major and during program progression. Acceptance into the Upper Division B.S.N. program is conditional upon completion and approval of all the information received regarding the criminal record check.

How much will your program cost?

Tuition and fees are based on UToledo charges. Additional costs include uniforms, professional equipment, laptop or tablet personal computer for course activities, professional fee for courses in the upper division professional major, laboratory fees, annual physical and tuberculosis test, infectious disease titers and immunizations, criminal record checks, transportation to clinical sites, ATI, etc.

Where does my degree come from?

The Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing (B.S.N.) is granted by UToledo. Graduates take the National Council Licensure Examination - Registered Nurse (NCLEX-RN). Successful completion of the examination permits the practice of professional nursing. 

This document is available in alternative format upon request. Advanced notice is required in order for the material to be available. Please submit requests as far in advance as possible to the Office of Student Services by fax: 419.383.5894, phone: 419.383.5810, or email:

Last Updated: 10/23/23