Welcome to Technology Transfer at The University of Toledo
In support of The University of Toledo’s mission, the Technology Transfer team is committed to helping your ideas and inventions conceived and developed on one of UT’s campuses to become innovations that improve the human condition within the local community and around the world. To assist faculty, staff and students, we have prepared these basic guidelines to protect your intellectual property interests in any new or existing technologies.
If you have a new idea or discovery that may be the basis for a new invention, we can help you protect it so we would love to hear about it! Getting started is quick and easy! Simply fill out an Invention Disclosure Form and submit it to the Technology Transfer Office. We will contact you when we receive it to discuss next steps.
To protect your intellectual property, please keep the following in mind:
- Keep asking yourself if your research results are patentable (i.e. novel, non-obvious, and useful).
- Report any potentially patentable inventions or results to a representative in the Technology Transfer Office by completing an Invention Disclosure Form found in the link at the left side of the page.
- Be careful not to disclose your new invention to anyone outside The University of Toledo before a confidential disclosure agreement is in place or a patent application is filed. Please contact the Technology Transfer Office before disclosing your invention via poster presentation, publication, or any other method of communication so that we can advise you of the appropriate protection for your technology.
- Be sure to complete a Material Transfer Agreement before sending research materials to other institutions or receiving research materials from outside The University of Toledo.
- Keep accurate and thorough laboratory notebooks. Please make sure:
- Notebook has good quality paper and permanent binding;
- Use permanent ink;
- Entries are legible and factually complete;
- Describe the experimental procedures and your observations in detail; and
- Sign, date and have each page witnessed as soon as possible.