core mission areas
- Medical Student Career Advising
- Student Leadership & Professional Development
- Sponsored Events & Ceremonies
- Service Learning
- Health and Wellness
- Career Development Curriculum Project
- UTCOM HOME
- Academic Enrichment Center
- Academic Test Center
- COM Curriculum
- COM Policies
- Office of the Registrar
- Office of Student Financial Aid
- Student Health Insurance
- Student Health and Wellness
College of Medicine and Life Sciences - Office of Student Affairs (OSA)
Mulford Library Building - First Floor
3000 Arlington Avenue
Toledo, OH 43614
Summer Opportunities FOR MEDICAL CAREER DEVELOPMENT--
- Main Page
- UTCOM Opportunities
- Community Health Project (CHP)
- CHP Director Position
- Family Practice
- Medical Education
- Non-UTCOM Opportunities
- See: Summer Opportunities Catalog (Blackboard resource)
- - AAMC Careers in Medicine Clinical and Research Opportunities (AAMC sign-in required)
- CV preparation Resources
Family Practice Preceptorship
This elective is an introduction to Family Medicine and to office-based family practice in a rural/underserved area. Students will learn about the basics of the medical history and physical examination, physician-patient relationships, as well as receive an orientation to private office procedures. In addition, students will be exposed to aspects of family medicine in rural areas that extend beyond the office experience. This experience provides an opportunity for students to work with the family physician in the office, hospital, and on call, as well as in other capacities depending on the physician’s role in the community. Students selected for this preceptorship will likely be expected to stay in the rural/underserved community (many of which are 50+ miles from Toledo) during this time in order to have a more comprehensive experience in family medicine. Housing will be provided. The family physician preceptor will help coordinate arrangements for accommodations as well as help provide for a greater breadth of (clinical and non-clinical) experiences.
**This is a UTCOM sponsored academic program and as such you will be eligible to receive liability insurance through The University of Toledo**
Program Duration: 5 weeks
Compensation: $9 hourly rate/up to40 hours per week
- UTCOM medical students who are in good academic standing.
- Number of participants selected will be determined by available funding.
- Students may only participate in one of the UTCOM Summer Educational Opportunities, but may apply to multiple programs.
- Students interested in pursuing career in family medicine are preferred.
- Online application
- One page essay stating why student is interested in family medicine, including a list
of activities/student organizational involvement related to family medicine.
- Applicants must complete a FAFSA form to determine eligibility for Federal Work Study funding.