LEC News and Reports
- LEC's Dr. Thomas Bridgeman 13abc News story on his recent recognition for his scientific
research paper "A novel method for tracking western Lake Erie Microcystis blooms, 2002–2011" published
in 2013, as being one of the top 5 most cited papers published in Journal of Great
Lakes Research for 2014, 2015 and up until June of 2016! , February 8, 2017.
- LEC's Graduate Student Holly Embke is quoted in the Blade article by Matt Markey titled "Grass carp's spread to Great Lakes raises level of concern." January 31, 2017.
- LEC's Dr. Thomas Bridgeman if featured in news article, "Journal of Great Lakes Research
names UT algae expert's paper as one of the most cited", UT News, January 30, 2017.
- LEC's Dr. Thomas Bridgeman, members of his lab and M.S. student Holly Embke are featured
in The University of Toledo's video highlighting how UT is taking a multidisciplinary approach to protecting the Great Lakes and providing
clean drinking water. November 30, 2016.
- LEC's November Public Lecture Series guest speaker, Dr. Jeanine Refsnider, speaks
with UT News about her research, "Can Reptiles Survive Climate Change", story by Christine Billau, Nov. 16, 2016.
- LEC's Master student, Ken Gibbons is featured in UT promotion video, "Our Story", Sept. 6, 2016
- LEC's Researchers in Dr. Daryl Dwyers lab featured in story by UT News "UT scientists, students help USGS develop model to predict algal bloom toxins" July 29, 2016.
- LEC's Student researchers help USGS estimate water toxins, story by WTOL 11 News, July 14, 2016.
- LEC's Pamela Struffolino, M.S.-"Scientists hope to predict toxic algae", The Blade, July 14, 2016, by Tom Henry, Blade staff writer.
- LEC's Brenda Snyder, Senior Research Assistant is featured in article in UT News "Former Chief Chemist at Toledo Water Treatment Plant on H2O Quality Quest" story by Christine Billau, July 13, 2016.
- LEC's Dr. Thomas Bridgeman-"Dry weather stifles algae bloom, but scientist say runoff still a threat," The Blade, July 8, 2016, by Tom Henry, Blade staff writer.
- LEC's Dr. Thomas Bridgeman- "Researchers predict smaller harmful algae bloom on Lake Erie", 13abc News, July 7, 2016.
- LEC's REU Students in the news-"Summer interns help to research Lake Erie issues", article by Tom Henry, The Blade, July 5, 2016.
- LEC's Research Vessel spotlighted in the promotional video by UT, featuring faculty and student researchers. June 28,
- LEC Director Dr. Carol Stepien and student mentor Dr. Song Qian-UT NSF sponsored REU
(Research Experience for Undergraduates) Program "College students across country spend summer at UT for research experience", UT News, June 23, 2016
- "University of Toledo's Lake Erie Center getting hammered by mayflies, too", article by Tom Henry, The Blade, June 27, 2016
- LEC's Dr. Christine Mayer, Dr. Carol Stepien, and former UT student Kristen DeVanna
Fussell- "Where do mayflies end up? Answer is blowing in the wind", The Blade, June 21, 2016
- LEC's Dr. Christine Mayer-Ecology Professor on the annual mayfly emergence, June 20, 2016
- LEC's Dr. Thomas Bridgeman and Student Researchers Lake Erie water testing- Takes WTOL 11 reporter Steven Jackson out on the lake to return their newly calibrated
sensors to the UT's water quality buoy- WTOL 11, June 17, 2016
- LEC Students are fighting invasive Asian Carp in the Great Lakes, UToledo Closeup, June 16, 2016
- LEC 2016 Summer Kids' Camp, NWO NBC 24 News, June 15, 2016
- LEC Researchers in UT News- UT Students Take Daily Dip to Predict Swim Safety at Lake Erie's Maumee Bay State
Park Beach, UT News, June 15, 2016.
- LEC's Dr. Thomas Bridgeman-Takes 13 abc Action News Melissa Voetsch on UT's Research Vessel, 13 abc Action News, June 14, 2016
- LEC's Master student, Holly Embke, On the trail of an invader, Matt Markey Blade Outdoors Editor, June 12, 2016.
- LEC's Master student, Holly Embke, Michigan Radio NPR reports Researchers confirm grass carp are reproducing in the Great Lakes basin. June 9, 2016.
LEC's Dr. Thomas Bridgeman- Lake Erie Center researchers, students collect samples to analyze water quality during
algal bloom season, UT News, June 6, 2016
- LEC's Dr. Thomas Bridgeman- UT Algae Experts Deploy Advance-Warning Buoy into Lake Erie's Maumee Bay, UT News, June 3, 2016
- LEC's Holly Embke- UT Student Discovers First Grass Carp Eggs In Great Lakes Tributary, UT News, June 2, 2016
- LEC's Holly Embke-Scientists: Invasive grass carp spawn in Lake Erie Tributary. Daily Mail.com, June 2, 2016.
- LEC's students and staff participate in Maumee Bay State Park Beach Cleanup, WTOL 11, June 1, 2016.
- LEC"s Researchers help provide E. Coli swimming forecasts, 13abc Action News, May 31, 2016.
- LEC's Dr. Daryl Dwyer, E. Coli bacteria testing and database modeling at Maumee Bay State Park, May 27, 2016.
- Spring rain could impact algal bloom season- 13abc Action News interviews Dr. Thomas Bridgeman about spring rain and its possible
impact on the 2016 algal bloom season, May 9, 2016
- LEC's Dr. Carol Stepien, Great Lakes Restoration Initiative WTVG 13abc Action News, May 5, 2016.
- LEC Director, Dr. Carol Stepien- U.S. EPA announces grants for Great Lakes Restoration- WTOL 11 News, May 4, 2016
- LEC Director, Dr. Carol Stepien-U.S. EPA Announces 28 Great Lakes Restoration Initiative Grants Totaling Over $12.5 Million
to Restore Great Lakes- U.S. EPA, May 4, 2016
- LEC Director, Dr. Carol Stepien-EPA Awards Nearly $500,000 for Invasive Species Prevention in the Great Lakes, UT News, May 4, 2016
- LEC's Dr. Daryl Dwyer, Toledo Water and Sewage Clean-up rolls on, part of the Great Lakes Initiative. WTVG 13abc Action News, April 28, 2016.
- Spurring new Maumee sturgeon-13 ABC Action News reports on possible stream side hatchery for
reintroducing lake sturgeon
- Giant sturgeon poised to spawn again in the Maumee, Toledo Blade, April 3, 2016
- Water quality takes center stage at LEC-Richard Bartz, USGS guest speaker, 13abc Action
- Where does lead in water come from?-LEC's Brenda Snyder interviewed, 13abc Action