The Lake Erie CenterMission
- Research environmental conditions and living and non-living aquatic resources in Maumee
Bay and western Lake Erie, as a model for the Great Lakes and aquatic ecosystems worldwide
- Discern the linkages among land-use practices, water quality, habitat, economics,
natural resources, sustainability, and environmental and public health
- Provide a state-of-the-art research and education facility for sponsored research
and collaborations by faculty from the University of Toledo, other universities, federal
and state agencies, and visiting scientists
- Facilitate hands-on cutting-edge environmental research and education experiences
for graduate and undergraduate students
- Engage secondary school students, teachers, and the public with environmental education, sustainable living, and informed outreach awareness programs
UT and LEC Professors contribute to chapter in the educational text Sustainability Practice and Education on University Campuses and Beyond, 2015, written by two UT Engineering Professors, Ashok Kumar and Dong Shik Kim. The book chapter titled "Enhancing Environmental Sustainability through a University Field Station" is about the educational contributions, research, and community outreach of the Lake Erie Center.
Our webcam looks north onto Maumee Bay, across the street from our building, which is
located at 6200 Bayshore Road in Oregon, Ohio.