Office of the Registrar

Ohio In-State-Residency: FAQ

Is there a deadline for filing an Ohio In-State Residency Application?

Applications are typically due two weeks prior to the beginning of the term in which the reclassification is requested.  Specific semester deadlines are posted to the In-State Residency homepage.  Applications submitted once the term begins will not be considered for that term. No retroactive reclassification will be granted.

Do I need to file Ohio Taxes?

According to the Ohio Department of Taxation website, in part: "Every Ohio resident is subject to the Ohio income tax. Every nonresident having Ohio-sourced income must also file..."

Although you may not be obligated to file an Ohio income tax return as specified by the Ohio Department of Taxation, when applying for Ohio In-State Residency doing so may provide additional documentation regarding you intent to become a resident of Ohio.

For complete detail on filing Ohio Taxes, please visit the Department of Taxation website.

I am a DACA student. Am I eligible for Ohio In-State Residency for tuition purposes?

Maybe. If you recieved your notice of approval I-797 form for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and meet requirements under one of the rules outlined by the Ohio Board of Regents, you may be eligible for in-state residency. Detailed information regarding the rules for residency can be reviewed at our website for Ohio In-State Residency.

If approved for in-state reclassification, the applicant must reapply for residency after two (2) years due to the approval timeframe of the I-797 Notice of Action form from the Department of Homeland Security.

Am I automatically a resident for tuition purposes once I have lived in Ohio for 12 Consecutive months?

No. Students classified as a non-resident must establish residence in Ohio following state guidelines and petition to be reclassified as an Ohio resident. Living in Ohio for 12 consecutive months is not the only consideration when determining residency. Many other factors are considered. 

Be sure to verify if the rule to which you feel you may qualify for in-state residency specifies the 12 consecutive month requirement.

Do I need to obtain an Ohio driver license or register to vote in Ohio to apply for the Ohio In-State Residency?

It is not necessary to obtain an Ohio driver license unless you are a licensed driver in another state. If you are not a licensed driver in another state, you may provide a state ID in lieu of a driver license.  

You do not need to register to vote because voting is a personal decision.

If you drive a vehicle, the state of Ohio recommends you change your driver license to an official Ohio license within 30 days of moving to Ohio.  You must obtain your Ohio driver license before applying of Ohio In-State Residency for tuition purposes. 

Note: Obtaining an Ohio driver license and registering to vote in Ohio demonstrates your intent to make Ohio your state of residence.   Transferring your driver license to Ohio is yet another way to demonstrate your intent to become an Ohio resident. Please note, if you drive a car, you must provide a copy of an Ohio driver license.

Is a student allowed to leave Ohio to participate in paid or unpaid summer research or internship during the 12-consecutive month requirement and still be eligible for Ohio residency?

Maybe.  Academic work related to a student's field of study, which may be accepted back at our institution for academic credit is an allowable absence and will not have any bearing on the 12 month. 

Can I qualify for an in-state residency if I am dependent upon someone other than my parent, legal guardian or spouse?

No. A student cannot base dependency on another relative, fiancé/fiancée, in-laws, etc.  A dependent student may only be reviewed under a guideline through their dependency upon a parent, legal guardian or spouse.  

How is my Ohio residency status affected if I leave Ohio?

The Ohio Board of Regents Guidelines allow Ohio residents 12 months out of the state before they "lose" their residency. If you leave the state for more than 12 months, your residency will likely be questioned. For example, if you accept employment in another state, you would likely lose your residency after 12 months. It is important to consider future residency implications when planning a move or extended stay outside Ohio.

I am an Ohio resident but if my parents leave Ohio, how is my Ohio residency status affected? 

The state residency guidelines have "grandfather clause" to address this. If your parents are Ohio residents and move out of the the state while you are an enrolled dependent resident student at the University, you will continue to be classified as a resident through the completion of one degree program, provided that you maintain continuous full time enrollment. If you apply for a second degree program (i.e. graduate or professional school), your residency will may be reviewed and you may have to meet the residency criteria on your own.

Can I submit amended federal and state income tax returns providing independence?

Yes, however you must provide proof of filing the amended return. Contact your local IRS office for verification of filing your amended return. 

If my parent(s) or spouse move into Ohio, when am I eligible to become a resident? 

You may be eligible for "instant residency" under C3 if you are dependent upon a parent who is working full-time and has established domicile in Ohio before the first day of the term for which you are applying.

You may be eligible if you are a dependent spouse of a person who has begun working full-time and established domicile in Ohio for reasons other than gaining the benefit of state-supported education. Refer to C3 in the residency guidelines for more information. 

If I own property in Ohio but live in a different state, does that make me and my dependent(s) Ohio residents?

No. The state guidelines do not grant residency based solely on owning property or a business in Ohio. You must reside in Ohio.

Can I apply for prior term residency and get a refund if I can prove I was residency eligible at that time?

No, retroactive reclassification is not an option. For consideration regarding Ohio residency status, you must apply for Ohio In-State Residency by the term deadline for which you are eligible. 

Which visa types are eligible for Ohio In-State Residency?

The following visa types are eligible for Ohio In-State Residency: A, E, G, H, I, L, O, P, R, TC, TD, or TN

The following visa types are ineligible for Ohio In-State Residency: B, F, J, M, or U

Have Questions?

Email for Main Campus Students
Email for Health Science Campus Students
Call Rocket Solution Central 419.530.8700
Monday - Wednesday and Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Thursday 10 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Visit Rocket Solution Central 1200 Rocket Hall
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Rocket Hall is located near the corner of Secor Rd. and Dorr St.
View Main Campus map.
Last Updated: 11/13/23