International Student Services
- Prospective Students
- American Language
- Undergraduate Admissions
- Graduate Admissions
- Skype Live with OISSS!
- Newly Admitted Students
- Life in Toledo
- Mailing Documents
- Current Students
- Cultural Programs
- Immigration Regulations
- International Student Org's
- Mailing Documents
- Rocket ReCycle
- Visas & Travel
- J-1 Exchange Visitors
- Request Form & Visa Info
- H-1B Employees
- Forms & General Info
- International Alumni
- Emergency Protocol
- Ohio International Consortium (OIC)
- Contact OISSS
- Center for International
Studies and Programs
Explore Your World
- International Students
- Faculty & Staff
- CISP Information Session
- Request a CISP Presentation
- Global Assistance Resources
- Scholarships & Travel Grant
- GPS (Global Programming Specialist)
- Global Voices: International Speakers
- Global Exchange
Living Learning Community
- International Food Guide
- Rocket ReCycle
(bicycle loan program for international students)
- International Institutional Affiliations (Letter of Intent & MOU templates)
- International Admissions
- Graduate Admissions
- Division of Student Success
- Student Affairs
- Office for the Student Experience
- Honors College
Policy 3360-30-15 - Health Insurance Mandate
Purpose: To require health insurance for University of Toledo students.
All international students registered for one or more credit hours per term will have and maintain health insurance.
Students as registered above who do not have proof of insurance will be assessed a premium for single student coverage per term under the University's student health insurance plan.
Completed insurance waivers must be submitted by a date specified by the vice president for student affairs to eliminate insurance charges.
What This Policy Means to You
When you register for classes, health insurance will be added to your account if you meet the registration requirements as above. If you have health insurance that is equivalent to, or exceeds, the health insurance offered by the University, you may complete the online waiver process requesting to waive UT's insurance.
If you do not complete the online waiver process within the specified deadline, typically by the last day of add/drop for the semester, the health insurance fee will remain on your account. After the deadline, you must contact the Main Campus Medical Center Insurance Office (for main campus students) or the University Health Services Office (for medical students) for waiver appeal information.
WAIVER CRITERIA (CLICK HERE)
WAIVE HEALTH INSURANCE (CLICK HERE)
Required Immiunizations & Tuberculosis Screening
MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella)
The University of Toledo requires all incoming students (freshmen and transfer), and all students residing in residence halls to provide official documentation of having had two MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) immunizations.
This documentation can be obtained from one of the following:
- A copy of the student's immunization record
- A copy of the student's baby book
- A copy of the student's high school documentation (obtained directly from the high school)
- Military records
- A statement on letterhead from the student's physician with the dates of two immunizations
You may bring your documentation to Main Campus Medical Center (MCMC) upon your arrival in Toledo. You will need to provide valid photo identification, Rocket ID Number and semester for which you have been admitted.
Should you have any questions, please contact the MCMC at 419.530.3451.
In the interest of good health and well-being for all people, The University of Toledo has adopted a mandatory Tuberculosis screening of students.
Tuberculosis is a common and often deadly infectious disease, caused primarily by the microorganism, Mycobacterium tuberculosis. TB is spread through the air, when people who have the disease cough, sneeze, or spit. One-third of the world’s current population has been infected with M. tuberculosis, and new infections occur at a rate of one per second. Although most of these cases are latent (inactive) infections, it is estimated that about one in ten persons with latent TB infection will eventually progress to active disease, which, if left untreated, kills more than half of its victims.
Students from countries of high TB prevalence will be tested at the Student Health Centers on both campuses. (SEE LIST BELOW)
Two locations are open for screening:
Main Campus Medical Center testing will be by appointments Monday through Thursday. Students should call 419.530.3454 or stop by to schedule an appointment.
The cost of the Quantiferon blood test is $36.00 and will be applied to the students UT bill. Any additional testing or treatment will be billed to the student’s insurance and be the responsibility of the student.
At the visit the student will be screened for symptoms. If the student does not have symptoms:
1. The student will have blood drawn for the
Quantiferon test only.
2. After completion of the testing the student’s
registration hold will be removed.
3. If the blood test is positive, a chest
x-ray will be ordered.
4. If the chest x-ray is normal, the student
will be considered to have latent TB infection and treatment will be recommended.
The student must attend a follow-up visit with a physician or a
registration hold will be replaced.
5. If the chest x-ray is abnormal, the student will be referred to a pulmonary specialist. Following appropriate treatment, the student will be released to attend class and live in residence hall.
If at the initial visit the student does have symptoms:
1. Quantiferon blood testing and a chest x-ray
will be required.
2. If both tests are normal, the student will
be released but required to follow up with M.D.
3. If blood testing is negative, but the chest
x-ray is abnormal the student will be released but required to follow up with a pulmonary
4. If the blood testing is positive the student will be referred to a pulmonary specialist for treatment regardless of the results of the chest x-ray, and released following appropriate treatment.
If you have further questions, the medical staff will be happy to answer them at your screening visit. They may also be reached at 419.530.3451.