International Student Services
- Prospective Students
- American Language
- Undergraduate Admissions
- Graduate Admissions
- Skype Live with OISSS!
- Newly Admitted Students
- Life in Toledo
- Mailing Documents
- Current Students
- Cultural Programs
- Immigration Regulations
- International Student Org's
- Mailing Documents
- Rocket ReCycle
- Visas & Travel
- J-1 Exchange Visitors
- Request Form & Visa Info
- H-1B Employees
- Forms & General Info
- International Alumni
- Emergency Protocol
- Ohio International Consortium (OIC)
- Contact OISSS
- Center for International
Studies and Programs
Explore Your World
- International Students
- Faculty & Staff
- CISP Information Session
- Request a CISP Presentation
- Global Assistance Resources
- Scholarships & Travel Grant
- GPS (Global Programming Specialist)
- Global Voices: International Speakers
- Global Exchange
Living Learning Community
- International Food Guide
- Rocket ReCycle
(bicycle loan program for international students)
- International Institutional Affiliations (Letter of Intent & MOU templates)
- International Admissions
- Graduate Admissions
- Division of Student Success
- Student Affairs
- Office for the Student Experience
- Honors College
Prospective J-1 Exchange Visitor Information
- DS-2019 Request Form - creating the DS-2019 immigration document
- Overview of J-1 Program - helpful information for UT departments & prospective scholars
- J-1 Prearrival Checklist - helpful information for life at UT
- Health Insurance Resources - health insurance provider list
- Transportation from Airport and around Toledo
- Housing Around Toledo
Current J-1 Exchange Visitor Information
- Maintaining J-1 Status - how to maintain your current J-1 status
- J-1 Handbook
- Change of Status
- Dependents (J-2) Request - inviting a spouse and/or child to the U.S.
- Academic Training (J-1 students only)
- Extension of Program - steps to extend your DS-2019
- Co-Enrollment Form (J-1 students only)
- Transfer J-1s - transferring into and out of UT
- J-2 Employment Authorization
- Miscellaneous Information - visitation letters, traveling, and more!
- Step 1: UT department or office must complete the DS-2019 Request Form.
- The DS-2019 Request Form will require UT Departments to collect information from their future J-1 Exchange Visitor. Use the following form to collect that information: J-1 Visitor Sheet.
- Step 2: Email OISSS the following items for a completed request:
- DS-2019 Request Form (pdf)
- Passport page (also passports of dependents if applicable)
- Proof of funding letter. Translated in English if necessary. Amount in U.S. dollars.
- Copy of health insurance policy.
- Step 3: Complete J-1 Processing Fee of $200.
- Request a budget transfer of $200 from your UT department to the OISSS index number A10390 and account number 71108. Provide the scholar's name, department, and J-1 Fee in the subject line.
Overview of J-1 Program: Learn more the J-1 Exchange Visitor process.
- Information on insurance requirements, funding requirements, J-2 dependents, and more.
J-1 Prearrival Checklist: Important information for future J-1 Exchange Visitors.
- Learn how to pay the SEVIS Fee, how to carry documents through the airport, and more.
Health Insurance Resources: While UT cannot evaluate, recommend, or endorse any specific health insurance company or policy, see a list of health insurance providers prepared by NAFSA.
Maintaining J-1 Status: Immigration regulations for all J-1 categories.
J-1 Handbook: Information regarding J-1 immigration regulations and UT policies and procedures as they relate to the J-1 program.
Change of Status: Your eligibility to change to another nonimmigrant status may be limited. Click the link to see the various handouts for a change of status.
Dependent DS-2019 Request Form: Use to invite your spouse and/or child to U.S. as a J-2.
Academic Training (student categories only): Employment integral to an exchange visitor's academic program which may occur during and after the completion of studies.
Extension of Program: A J-1 must complete their program by end date indicated on Line #3 of DS-2019. If the individual cannot complete the program by this date, contact OISSS for an extension before the end date.
- Extension of Program (student categories only)
- For Short-Term Scholars, Research Scholars, and Professors. OISSS will need the following:
- Verification Letter from UT department with a new end date,
- Proof of continued funding,
- Proof of continued health insurance coverage.
Co-Enrollment (student categories only): A student can be enrolled in two different schools at the same time (concurrent enrollment), as long as the enrollment in both schools amounts to a full-time course of study.
- Transfer in J-1s must email OISSSto initiate the transfer process. The J-1 scholar/student, OISSS, previous institution,
and the UT department will coordinate the transfer details.
- A transfer is allowed if the research topic and J-1 category will remain the same at UT.
- A J-1 student may transfer if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the academic objective for which he or she was admitted.
- The start date at UT must be the day following the last day at the prior institution.
A gap between program sponsorship is not allowed.
- Transfer out J-1s must fill out the Transfer Out Form and give a copy of an acceptance
letter or email confirming new research program to OISSS.
- Transfer Out Form
- Students must withdraw from all UT courses before the transfer out is complete.
- Dependents of J-1 Exchange Visitors in J-2 status are eligible to apply to the USCIS for employment authorization. J-2 dependents are not permitted to work or to receive a U.S. Social Security Number until they have received an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card from USCIS. Average processing time is 3 months.
- J-2 dependents with employment authorization may work until the date on the EAD card or until the J-1 completes his/her program, whichever is earlier. J-2 dependents may apply to renew work authorization, as long as the J-1 remains in status.
- Need a visitation letter? Check out our Letter policy!
- Want to Travel? Bring your DS-2019 into OISSS at least a week before traveling to get the document signed!
- Have you moved? Email OISSS to update your local U.S. address.