Office of International Student & Scholar Services

Applying for a New F-1 Visa for Continuing Students

Students who are maintaining legal student status in the U.S. do not need to have a valid visa to remain in the U.S. However, if the student plans to leave the U.S. and return to resume studies, in most cases, he/she needs a valid visa to return. A new F-1/J-1 visa cannot be obtained in the U.S.

Before leaving the U.S., you must notify OISSS of your travels at least 2 weeks before leaving. This will ensure that your SEVIS record and I-20/DS-2019 are valid. You will not be able to get a new visa with a terminated, cancelled, or deactivated I-20/DS-2019.

Important Information & Conditions

  1. You need to have maintained legal student status while in the U.S.
  2. You need to be currently enrolled or planning to enroll for the next academic semester, or have received authorization to engage in OPT (F-1 students) or Academic Training (J-1 students).
  3. F-1 students on OPT will need an EAD card and job offer. Applying for a visa while on OPT can be risky, talk to OISSS before leaving the country to go over the procedure.
  4. Have a "valid" reason for applying in the country where the consulate is located. Applying for a visa in your home country is generally considered to be easier than applying for a visa in a country where you are not a citizen or legal resident.
  5. Give yourself enough time! The visa processing times vary according to the individual consulate.

Visa Application Process

Visit the Department of State's website for the F-1 visa requirements!

10 Tips for a Successful Visa Interview

Last Updated: 6/9/16