Automatic Visa Revalidation
Automatic visa revalidation allows a person with an expired visa to re-enter the U.S. after a visit to Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands*, using a valid, unexpired I-94 card in place of a visa.
- Person seeking re-enter must be returning from a visit to Canada or Mexico of less than 30 days duration.
- Person must have a valid, unexpired, original I-94 and current, signed I-20/DS-2019.
- Person must have a valid passport.
- Person has maintained and intends to resume nonimmigrant status.
- Person has not applied for a new visa while outside the U.S.
Certain individuals may not benefit from this provision. These countries are Iraq, Iran, Syria, Sudan, North Korea, Land Cuba.
*Adjacent Islands: include Saint Pierre, Miquelon, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Bermuda, the Bahamas, Barbados, Jamaica, the Windward and Leeward Islands, Trinidad, and other British, French, and Netherlands territories or possessions in or bordering on the Caribbean.