- UT Library Catalog | Reserves
- Library Record (Renewals)
- Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad)
- Online Journals List
- Research Databases
...find articles and more!
- OhioLINK Homepage
Topic & Course Guides
Director, Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections
- B.A., Journalism, The University of Toledo, 1980
- M.A., American History, The University of Toledo, 1982
- M.P.A., Public Administration, The University of Toledo, 1989
- Archivist I, Manuscripts Department, Ohio Historical Society, 1982-1984. Acquired manuscript collections documenting Ohio history.
- Local Government Records Specialist, State Archives Department, Ohio Historical Society, 1984-1986. Assisted counties, cities, townships, and school districts with the management of their records and the preservation of records of historical value.
- University Archivist, University of Toledo, 1986-2002. As university archivist, responsible for the selection, preservation, and reference of the historical records of the University of Toledo. Also served as the university’s records manager.
- University Archivist and Director, Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections, 2002-. Responsible for the administration of the special collections department, which includes rare books, manuscript collections, and the University’s archives. Continue in role as university archivist and records manager.
- Principal author, “Medicine on the Maumee: A History of Health Care in Northwest Ohio.” Exhibition catalog. Published by the University of Toledo Libraries, March 2012.
- “The Boy Who Changed the World: Ohio and the Crippled Children’s Movement.” Ohio History 118 (2011): 72-90.
- “Like Being Nowhere At All.” Journal of Northwest Ohio History 77, no. 1 (2009): 1-19.
- “Hugh Gregory Gallagher’s Splendid Reception.” Disability Studies Quarterly,Summer/Fall 2010.
- Editor and principal author, From Institutions to Independence: A History of People with Disabilities in Northwest Ohio. With Kimberly Brownlee, Tamara Jones, Jennifer Free, and David Chelminski. University of Toledo Press. December 2010.
- Principal author and editor, “Wholly Toledo: The Business and Industry that Shaped the City.” Exhibition catalog. Published by the University of Toledo Libraries, November 2010.
- ‘A Most Excellent Education:’ 100 Years of the University of Toledo College of Arts and Sciences. The University of Toledo College of Arts and Sciences, Spring 2010.
- Review of Saving Sickly Children: The Tuberculosis Preventorium in American Life, 1909-1970 by Cynthia Connolly. JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association 301, no. 12 (2009): 1292-1293.
- “How One Boy Changed the World: Toledo and the ‘Crippled Children’s Movement.’” The University of Toledo Alumni Magazine (2009): 14-15.
- Review of The Second Blessing: Columbus Medicine and Health—The Early Years, by Charles Wooley and Barbara Van Brimmer. Appearing in JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association, July 11, 2007, pp. 232-233.
- “Overcoming Another Obstacle: Archiving a Community’s Disabled History.” With Diane Britton and Patricia Murphy. Radical History Review, Winter 2006, pp. 213-227.
- Images of America: Toledo—The 20th Century. Arcadia Publishing, October 2005.
- Images of America: Toledo—The 19th Century. Arcadia Publishing, July 2004.
- APPNA Qissa: A History of the Association of Pakistani Physicians of North America, 1978-2003. With S. Amjad Hussain. Literary Circle of Toledo, 2004.
- “Chewing Tobacco, Meat Packers, Hamburger Chains, and Automobile
- Dealerships: Early Professional Basketball in Toledo.” Northwest Ohio History, 75(1), 2003, 59-74.
- “The Skillful Hand, the Cultured Mind: Manual Training Schools Brought the Arts & Crafts Philosophy to the Masses.” Style 1900: The Magazine of Turn-of-the-Century Design 14 (4), 46-53.
- The First 150 Years: A History of The Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County, 1851-2001. With Vicki Kroll. Toledo, OH: Academy of Medicine, 2001.
- “Philip C. Nash and Toledo’s World View.” Northwest Ohio Quarterly 69 (2), Spring 1997, pp. 96-106.
- “A Question of Quality: How Authors and Editors Perceive Library Literature.” With John Phillips. College and Research Libraries 58 (1), January 1997, 81-93.
- The Tower’s Lengthening Shadow: 125 Years of the University of Toledo. Toledo, OH: Friends of the University of Toledo Libraries, 1997.
- “Learning by Doing: Undergraduates as Employees in Archives.” With Richard W. Oram. American Archivist 55(3), 440-452 (Summer 1992).
- “The Archivist as Public Administrator.” Midwestern Archivist 15(1): 17-24 (1990).
- “When Opportunity Knocked: UT’s Opportunity School. Northwest Ohio Quarterly, (Spring 1988): 69-77.
- “A Walking Tour Guide to UT Architecture,” 1986.
Selected Papers Presented:
- “Invisible Culture: Discovering the Hidden History of People with Disabilities.” Midwest Archives Conference, April 2010.
- “The Boy who Changed the World: Ohio and the ‘Crippled Children’s Movement.’” Southern Association for the History of Medicine and Science, March 2010.
- “From Institutions to Independence: Uncovering Disability History.” American Association for State and Local History, September 2008.“Overcoming Another Obstacle: Documenting the History of a Community’s Disabled.” Annual meeting of the Society of American Archivists, 2006.
- “The Cultured Mind, the Skillful Hand: The Toledo Manual Training School and the Arts and Crafts Movement.” The Conference on Local History, Bowling Green State University, April 2004.
- “10,000 Miles and 25 Years: The Journey of the Association of Pakistani Physicians of North America.” Southern Association for the History of Medicine and Science, February 2004.
- “The Cultured Mind, the Skillful Hand: Manual Training Schools and the
- Democratization of the Arts and Crafts Movement.” Association of Popular Culture, April 2003.
- “A Community Under the Microscope: Medical History as Local History.” Presented at the History at the Grassroots Conference, Eastern Illinois University, October 2000.
- “Is There a Future for History Museums?” American Association for State and Local History, September 2000.
Selected Professional, University, and College Service:
- Chair, Ad Hoc Committee on Academic Departments, 2011.
- Member, Criterion I Accreditation Committee, 2010-2-011.
- Member, Research Council, 2011-.
- Member, Policy Committee, 2009-.
- Chair, Main Campus Faculty Senate, 2007-2008.
- Co-chair, University Libraries, eLearning, and Academic Support Strategic Planning Committee, 2007-2008.
- Chair, Editorial Board, Archival Issues: The Journal of the Midwest Archives Conference, 2011-.
- Member, Editorial Board, Archival Issues: The Journal of the Midwest Archives Conference, 2008-2010.Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board, 1993-
- Secretary, Midwest Archives Conference, 1996-2001
- President, Society of Ohio Archivists, 1990-1993
- Disability Studies Curriculum Advisory Committee, 2002-.
- Library’s Faculty Senate Representative and member of Executive committee, 2005-2007
- UT-AAUP Executive Committee, 2000-2002
- Public Relations Officer, UT Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, 2000-.
- Member, Toledo Civic Hall of Fame committee, 2004-. Appointed by Toledo’s mayor.
- Active Trustee, Boys and Girls Clubs of Toledo, 1993-. Received Volunteer Award for
service to organization, July 2000.