Second Floor Rm 2017
- Physics & Astronomy Home
- Chair's Welcome
- Contact Information
- Academic Programs
Course links + help-desk
- Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
- Activities (Colloquia, Seminars, etc)
- Event Calendar
- Application Forms
- Ritter Planetarium & Brooks Observatory
- Wright Center for Photovoltaics
- Career Opportunities
- Society of Physics Students
- Graduate School
- Physics & Astronomy Solar Array
Second Floor Rm 2017
- April 2014: 2014 Undergraduate and Graduate Awards Ceremony
- April 2014: Recent work by Prof. Yan and collaborators on grain-boundary-enhanced carrier collection in CdTe solar cells highlighted in Physical Review Letters
- February 2014: Prof. Steven Federman elected as first Chair of newly formed Laboratory Astrophysics Division of the American Astronomical Society.
- February 2014: Prof. Lloyd Knox of UC Davis presented the McMaster Cosmology Lecture on Thursday, February 27 in Driscoll Auditorium.
- February 2014:Prof. Sanjay Khare nominated as candidate for "Member-at-large" in the APS Division of Computational Physics.
- November 2013: Professor Robert Collins elected a Fellow of the American Physical Society
- November 2013: Professor Emerita Nancy Morrison elected a Fellow of the AAAS
- August 2013:Prof. Bo Gao receives award from NSF China to study atomic interactions and collisions in cold-atom systems.
- August 2013:Prof. Bo Gao receives NSF award to study quantum theories of atomic and molecular processes.
- August 2013: Prof. Sanjay Khare receives award from NSF DMREF program (Designing Materials to Engineer our Future).
- June 2013:Waves 2013 Departmental Newsletter .
- April 2013: Spring 2013 Student Awards & SPS Induction Ceremony.
- April 2013: Prof. David Hogg of NYU presented the McMaster Cosmology lecture: "What and where is the Dark Matter?"
- December 2012: Prof. Michael Cushing speaks on Dec. 13 meteor shower
- December 2012: Prof. Michael Cushing interviewed by 13 ABC News on Mayan Myth
- August 2012: Prof. Yanfa Yan leads $1.9 million collaborative Sustainable Energy Pathways (SEP) project: Earth-Abundant thin-film solar cells as a sustainable solar energy pathway
- August 2012:Waves 2012 Departmental Newsletter .
- April 2012: Spring 2012 Student Awards & SPS Induction Ceremony.
- March 2012: Alumnus Steven Howell receives John J. Turin Award.
- January 2012: Congratulations to P&A graduate student Sean Tanny for winning the second place award at the American Association of Physicist in Medicine Ohio River Valley Chapter meeting held at OSU.
- December 2011: UT welcomes two new Physics faculty to photovoltaics research and education.
- October 2011: Astronomer to explore Milky Way galaxy at McMaster Colloquium
- October 2011: Ritter Planetarium reopens with new state of the art digital full dome projection system.
- September 2011:Waves 2011 Departmental Newsletter .
- August 2011: Professor Ishmael Parsai has been elected a Fellow of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine
- August 2011: Professor Michael Cushing is the lead author on a paper describing the discovery of an entirely new class of stars: Y-dwarfs, which are cool enough to touch.
- August 2011: Ritter Planetarium is closed for a major update to a new state of the art digital full dome projection system. Reopening scheduled for Oct. 29.
- August 2011: Undergraduate student Kathryn Hoepfl is lead author on a paper entitled "Solar and Wind Energy Portfolios and Real-Time Pricing", to appear in the J. of Tech. Policy and Mgmt.
- May, 2011: Graduate student Charles Poteet and Professor Tom Megeath find Crystal 'Rain' in Outer Clouds of an Infant Star, with the research covered in Time Magazine Science.
- May, 2011: Professor Jacques Amar's research on thin-film growth highlighted by Ohio Supercomputer Center.
- Spring 2011 Student Awards & SPS Induction Ceremony
- Jan, 2011: Professor Rupali Chandar's work on M51 featured in NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day.
- Oct, 2010: Professor emeritus Adolf Witt honored by a conference in his name: WittFest.
- Former Ph.D. student Bruce Cantor is PI on a joint NASA/ESA mission to Mars.
- Professional Science Master's degree program in photovoltaics featured in UT News.
- Oct 2010: Midwest Critical Mass Conference on Relativistic Heavy Ions and RHIC Physics held in McMaster on Oct. 22-23.
- Aug 2010: Prof. Jacques G. Amar and Prof. Terry Bigioni receive a National Science Foundation Award to study the interfacial self-assembly of nanoparticles and their interactions.
- July, 2010: The University of Toledo's graduate programs in medical physics have received accreditation from CAMPEP. We thus join an elite group of 24 accredited programs in the USA and Canada.
- July, 2010: Professor J.D. Smith's work on PAH emission in galaxies selected as the Thomson Reuters Fast Moving Front paper in Space Science for July, 2010.
- June, 2010: The department's solar power researchfeatured in USA Today.
- May, 2010: Professor Tom Megeath's Herschel Space Observatory proto-stars project leads to surprising discoveries about the way stars form.
- May, 2010: The Ritter Planetarium wins grant to extend its interactive exhibits.
- April, 2010: Professor Bo Gao has been elected a Fellow of the American Physical Society, for "contributions to the quantum-defect theory of cold atom interactions and the analyses of the associated mathematical special functions.”
- April, 2010:Waves 2009 Departmental Newsletter .
- March, 2010: Professor Rupali Chandar's research on the evolution of star clusters profiled in UTNews.
- November 2009: Eulogy for Adjunct Professor Indrek Martinson
- November 2009: Graduate student Michelle Sestak wins the Applied Surface Science Division's Best Student Presentation Award for her presentation "Analysis of CdTe and CdS Thin Films and Photovoltaic Device Structures by Spectroscopic Ellipsometry".
- October 2009: Graduate student Lesley Simanton's research featured in the Chicago Tribune
- October 2009: Scholars' Celebration and Sigma Xi Student Research Symposium planned for Oct. 24th.
- October 2009: UT Physicist Ishmael Parsaihonored at international conference
- September 2009: Professor Reva-Kay Williams receives a National Science Foundation Award for her project "Theoretical and Numerical Investigation of a Unified Astrophysical Rotating Black Hole Model for Active Galactic Nuclei, Microquasars, and Gamma-Ray Bursters".
- September 2009: Professor Jacques G. Amar receives a National Science Foundation Award for his project "Simulating Nonequilibrium Processes over Extended Time- and Length-scales using Parallel Accelerated Dynamics".
- June 2009: The department's solar energy research featured (CNBC).
- June 2009: Professor Rupali Chandar wins a National Science Foundation CAREER Award for her project "The Life Cycle of Star Clusters: New Windows into Star Formation and Galaxy Evolution".
- May 2009: Spring Student Awards & SPS Induction Ceremony.
- April 2009: Professor and Department Chair Karen Bjorkman has been appointed as a Distinguished University Professor (UTNews).
- April 2009: Undergraduate Research Symposium. Chad Tabory Award for Oustanding Undergratuate Research goes to Rachell Gestrich ("Extra-galactic star formation: the search for stellar clusters") and Rosa Zartman ("MgF2 anti-reflective coatings").
- Feb 2009: Professor Sanjay Khare participated in an energy roundtable discussion (13ABC/YouTube).
- October 2008: Toledo 2008 Solar Tour guide (Green Energy Ohio).
- September 2008: Professor Robert Collins appointed as Distinguished University Professor (UTNews).
- September 2008: Professor Xunming Deng wins Toledoan of the Year Award (UTNews).
- July 2008: Helen Luedtke Brooks Endowed Professorship of Astronomy established (UTNews).
- May 2008: Astronomers J.D. Smith and Tom Megeath lead searches for answers to questions of cosmic origins (UTNews).
- May 2008: UT receives funding for Ohio Research Scholars (Regents Ohio).
- May 2008: McMaster family gives $2M for energy research chair (Toledo Blade).
- April 2008: Photovoltaics research strengthened by incoming faculty (UTNews).
- Spring 2008 Student Awards & SPS Induction Ceremony.
- April 2008: Prof. Karen Bjorkman receives Outstanding Teacher Award (UTNews).
- April 2008: Prof. X. Deng's Xunlight Corp. receives additional funding (Toledo Blade).
- March 2008: Prof. X. Deng and Xunlight featured on CNN (video).
- March 2008: Prof. S. Federman named to Editorial Board of the Astrophysical Journal (Chicago Press).
- March 2008: Profs. Amar, Curtis and Decknamed APS Outstanding Referees (APS Journals).
- Jan. 2008: Prof. J. Amar's research featured in Ohio Supercomputer Center 2007 Annual Report. (OSC).
- December 2007: Hubble holiday news release features image by Prof. Rupali Chandar (HubbleSite).
- October 2007: Astronomers announce a public lecture series to take place at Ritter Planetarium.
- October 2007 UT Photovoltaics highlighted in Newsweek.
- September 2007: Prof. X. Deng's Xunlight Corp. receives NIST ATP Award (Toledo Blade).
- June 2007: Prof. Sanjay V. Khare receives NSF grant to model surface relaxation on GaAs surfaces
- January 2007: Prof. Victor G. Karpovreceives a grant from Intel Corporation to explore the physics of chalcogenide phase change memory.
- May 2007: Prof. James Palmer receives a grant, from the Upper Cervical Research Foundation, for spinal modeling, in conjunction with Prof. Vijay K. Goel of the Department of Bioengineering
- December 2006: The University of Toledo receives $18,635,238 in Wright Centers of Innovation funds to establish the Photovoltaics Innovation and Commercialization Center (PVIC).
Site contact: J.G. Amar