Rocket Career Center


The University of Toledo has more than 1,000 international students on temporary visas representing over 90 different countries. Their multicultural and multilingual skills combined with their education at UT make them a unique asset to many U.S. employers. As a prospective employer, you have the opportunity to include these talented students in your hiring plans. Many employers may have questions regarding the immigration laws and employment regulations that affect the opportunity for international students to work in the U.S. Click here to view a summary of the regulations that allow international students to become legally authorized to work in the United States.

The Rocket Career Center abides by the NACE Principals for Professional Conduct. 


We live in a global economy, hiring an international student gives any business that global competitive edge. 

International students are very adaptable and able to meet and exceed employer demands. 

International employees add diversity to the workforce.


Foreign Students in F-1 Nonimmigrant Status Participating in Curricular Practical Training (CPT) 

International students on F-1 visas are eligible to participate in internships through Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT is a work authorization that allows students to complete internships, cooperative education, and alternative work-study experience related to their field of study. An F-1 nonimmigrant student may begin CPT after the Designated School Official has completed the endorsement on the Form I-20.  CPT must be a part of an established curriculum.  

F-1 nonimmigrant students participating in CPT are issued three documents that, when presented together, establish identity and employment authorization under List A for Form I-9 purposes: 

  • The student’s unexpired foreign passport 

  • Form I-20 with the Designated School Official’s endorsement for employment on page 3 

  • A valid Form I-94 or I-94A indicating F-1 nonimmigrant status 

Record the foreign passport and I-94 numbers in Section 2 under List A of Form I-9. Write the SEVIS number and the program expiration date from Form I-20 in the margin of Form I-9 near Section 2. 

Foreign Students in F-1 Nonimmigrant Status Participating in Optional Practical Training (OPT) 

OPT provides practical experience in an F-1 student’s major area of study.  A foreign student in F-1 nonimmigrant status participating in OPT must receive Form I-766, Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS before he or she is authorized to work.  He or she may not begin OPT until the date indicated on the EAD.   

After finishing a course of study, a student must complete all practical training within a 14-month period.  Some foreign students may be eligible for a 24-month extension of their OPT. 


Interview an international student as you would any domestic student. You can ask a student if they are legally authorized to be employed in the United States however, by law, you are not allowed to ask a potential employee if they are a US citizen, unless the type of jobs you have require such. 

Last Updated: 5/13/24