Judith Herb College of Education

Licensure and Master's Program (LAMP)

man at tableHave a Bachelor's degree in an area other than education and now you want to teach? LAMP is the program for you!

Students who hold a bachelor's degree can earn an Ohio teaching license and a Master of Education through completing the LAMP program. LAMP offers extensive focused field experiences alongside required coursework.

Some of the LAMP programs require very little undergraduate preparation while others require a background in undergraduate subject-matter coursework. The courses you have taken in your undergraduate program will determine how long it will take you to complete a LAMP program.

What Licensure Areas  are Available in LAMP?  Explore the programs linked below. 


Licensure Areas


Early Childhood (2 years)

  • Qualifies you to teach grades PreK through Grade 5

Middle Childhood (1 year)

  • Qualifies you to teach grades 4 through 9 in two subject areas (language arts, mathematics, science, or social studies)

Adolescent to Young Adult (1 year)

  • Qualifies you to teach grades 7 through 12 in one subject area (language arts, mathematics, chemistry, Earth and space science, life science, physics, integrated science, or social studies)

Special Education (2 years)

  • Qualifies you to teach grades K-12

Foreign Language (1 year)

  • Qualifies you to teach Chinese, French, German or Spanish in grades preK through 12



  • Admission to the College of Graduate Studies
  • Minimum overall undergraduate GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale
  • Minimum content area GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale for your licensure area
  • Undergraduate content area coursework for your licensure area

Apply to the College of Graduate Studies. You will need to submit these materials:

  • Worksheet: Course
  • Review Worksheet
  • Official transcripts from all institutions of higher education
  • Purpose statement describing your background and goals as well as the importance of the degree in achieving these goals
  • Resume
  • One letter of reference

Prior to beginning classroom experiences:

  • Criminal background check
  • Acceptable scores on the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) Content Assessment(s) for your licensure area
  • All undergraduate content area courses

Prior to applying for Ohio teaching license



Melissa Spann

Melissa Spann, LAMP Advisor

Academic Advisor/Enrollment Specialist




Last Updated: 2/15/24