Counselor Education Program

FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the links Below to find the answers to these frequently asked questions about Counselor Education and its programs.

What programs of study does CE offer?

The department offers masters programs in School Counseling and Clinical Mental Health Counseling, two graduate certificates in Clinical Mental Health and School Counseling, an undergraduate minor in Counseling and an undergraduate certificate in Chemical Dependency.
Return to top

Where can I learn more about the courses offered through CE?

Finding course information is easy and you can link to the UT catalog from this page. Just look in the navigation bar at the bottom of this web page. Under "Quick Links" you will find a link that says "Academics." Clicking on that link will take you to a web page where you click on the "Catalog Course" link.
Return to top

What are the admission requirements for the masters programs?

All masters applicants have to meet minimum admission criteria for the College of Graduate Studies. In addition, applicants should:

  • Possess an undergraduate degree, Preference is given to students with a 3.0 or equivalent accumulated grade point average on a 4-point scale for all undergraduate study at all institutions attended.
  • Submit a typed, written personal statement (suggested length 2-3 pages) detailing significant personal and professional experiences that relate to the applicant’s decision to pursue a career in counseling (e.g., rationale for seeking degree, commitment to counseling as a profession). The personal statement should also address such topics as the applicant’s skills or knowledge, preparation through education and/or experience, strengths and weaknesses, rationale for academic deficiencies, etc.
  • Submit a professional résumé, three letters of recommendation, and transcripts of all previous course work.
  • A personal interview with department faculty.
  • Our admissions process is competitive and applicants are considered for admission based on the above documents (GPA/transcript, personal statement, resume, letters of recommendation, and personal interview).
  • Our faculty consider the following professional counseling dispositions in our admissions process:
    • Ability to adhere to professional counseling ethics
    • Interpersonal communication skills
    • Respect for others
    • Diversity & cultural awareness
    • Emotional intelligence
    • Professionalism
    • Ability to master counseling skills

    Return to top

      • When should I apply?

        The Department admits students in each term of the academic year. Students are interviewed during a particular term for admission in the following term. Deadlines are set early in the semester to allow time for faculty to arrange interviews with applicants. Completed application materials should be received by September 15 for those students wishing to be considered for Spring admission. Students hoping to apply for Summer or Fall admission should apply by January 15. Finally, students hoping to be admitted for Fall should apply no later than May 15. Late applications may still be considered only if time permits.
        Return to top

        Who should I contact about admission?

        Potential applicants are encouraged to contact the Admissions Coordinator or the Program Coordinator for the degree program in which they are interested. 

        Can you go part-time?

        Yes! Part-time students are welcome and encouraged to apply. The department recognizes that many of our students have work and family obligations that make pursuing a graduate degree challenging. We have tried to respond to this by scheduling all of our classes in the evening. Classes generally start no earlier than 4 p.m. and meet one night a week. We also try to schedule classes so that students can take two classes back-to-back on one night. Additionally, the department has developed several distance learning classes so students can take classes without being locked into coming to campus on a given night. Finally, all of our required masters counseling courses are offered every summer, so that students can attend classes year round and facilitate their progress toward completing their degrees. Even though we do our best to accommodate the part-time student, our flexible scheduling still allows full-time students to complete their masters degree programs in two years. 
        Return to top

        How much does it cost to pursue graduate study at UToledo?

        You can locate this information in the Finance Brochures on the UT Treasurer's web page.
        Return to top

        How do I apply to the College of Graduate Studies?

        Application to the College of Graduate Studies is easy and you can do it online. 
        Return to top

        How can I find out about financial aid?

        The University of Toledo is committed to helping find ways to make a college education affordable for students and their families. We offer a variety of service and programs designed to help you find ways to meet your educational expenses. The Financial Aid office is dedicated to assisting you in procuring the assistance you need to achieve your educational goals. You can learn more by visiting the Financial Aid page on the UT website. 
        Return to top

        Are graduate assistantships available?

        Graduate assistantships are designed to provide support for full-time graduate study. The assistantships provides an opportunity for a graduate student to serve in a professional role and to establish a professional relationship with faculty and administrators. Only graduate students holding regular admission to a degree program are eligible for graduate assistantships. The University of Toledo offers both Research Assistantships and Teaching Assistantships. Interested students should visit the Graduate Assistantship web page on the College of Graduate Studies website for more information. The program does not have graduate assistanships. Many of our masters students are able to find full or partial assistantships in other programs or departments in the university.
        Return to top

        I'm not familiar with UToledo. How can I find your offices?

        CE is located on the Bancroft Campus of the University of Toledo at 2801 W. Bancroft St., Toledo, OH. The Department is housed in the Health and Human Services Building, which is on the eastern side of the Main Campus. Click to view either a map of Toledo or a map of the Main Campus.
        Return to top

        What does Toledo have to offer?

        The city of Toledo is located on the Maumee River in Northwest Ohio near the western edge of Lake Erie. The population of Toledo is about 350,000, while the metropolitan area has about 750,000 residents. Toledo is the 49th largest city in the U.S., and a center of industry and automotive assembly. Toledo offers a variety of cultural and recreational activities including a world class art museum, zoo, science center, triple A baseball, ECHL hockey, and water sports. In addition, Toledo is within easy driving distance of Detroit and Ann Arbor, Michigan, as well as Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati, Ohio. Click to visit the Toledo Region website. 
        Return to top

Last Updated: 1/8/24