Center for Advocacy and Student Experience

Faculty and Staff Resources

How-To Resources

Direct students to the most asked questions about how to navigate every aspect of college life! Go to Academic Success and Engagement's How-To Resources to Help You with College Life!

Emergency Notification Process

CASE may send a faculty notification to alert faculty of a student being absent or away from class for a while. Please note that CASE will acquire proof of documentation from the student before sending a letter.

  • When a student is absent from school due to a crisis or unexpected situation and unable to contact their individual instructors directly, the Center for Advocacy and Student Experience can send out a Faculty Notification.
  • It is, however, the student’s responsibility to also notify the instructor, if possible, and to connect with the instructor upon returning to the university. The faculty notification asks for the student to be excused from class for a period and asks instructors to allow students to make up missed coursework.
  • Situations where a faculty notification is issued:
    • Medical (hospitalization, Injury/illness, surgery)
    • Mental Health (Psychiatric Unit, ZEPF Center)
    • Death of a family/friend
    • Unexpected travel
  • Situations where a faculty notification is not issued:
    • Non-emergency situation
    • One-day absence (doctor/dentist appointment)
    • Missing class due to flat tire, oversleeping, etc.
    • We encourage students to work with their instructors and notify them as soon as they become aware of potential absences.
  • Please note that the letter is for the faculty member's consideration. The decision to grant such a request lies solely with the instructor. The instructor does not need permission from CASE to excuse an absence, allow student to make up coursework, or assign an "incomplete."

Consultation and Outreach

Often, faculty are the first to notice/realize when a student needs help. As you interact with students daily, there may be situations or conversations that raise concern. We encourage you to utilize your relationships with students to help them get back on track and to help them find the answers or next steps they may need.

  • Contact students directly if you have concerns:
    • Speak to students privately and in person whenever possible.
    • You can also contact students via email and telephone and schedule a time to meet with them to express your concerns.
    • Ask other faculty members and/or the student's academic adviser if the student is attending their classes. Try to contact the student through your colleagues.
    • Raise a flag in Starfish to alert the student’s success coach.
    • Ask students to share their perspectives; listen and assess how you can best be of assistance.
    • Refer students to the appropriate resources on campus such as their Academic Advisor, their Success Coach, University Counseling Center, Office of Accessibility and Disability Resources, or Office of Residence Life.
    • Center for Advocacy and Student Experience can help. If you are ever unsure of the best way to help students, the CASE Team can conduct outreach to students to offer support. To alert the CASE Team to begin outreach to student of concern, submit a Rocket Care Report. 
    • If you have helped a student resolve an issue, but believe more assistance is needed, submit a report, and share your concerns with CASE. If the student contacts us directly, or other faculty and staff make a similar referral, it helps us to create and build a case for the student. Our Case Management system, Maxient, helps us merge multiple cases and keep a record to know the student’s history. Contact CASE at the following:
    • There are also times when we may contact faculty and staff to gather more information. The overall goal in doing this is to collaborate to determine the best course of action for each student or situation.
  • Outreach: The CASE team is happy to come out and present information to faculty, staff, and even to your classroom. To learn more about CASE and the way we serve students or to request a classroom presentation or meeting, please feel free to contact us at 419-530-4357 or email

Classroom Disruption Policy

Emergency Notification Process:  

For faculty who require assistance with disruption in the classroom, please consult the UToledo Student Conduct Policy.  (See sections

E(10), which talks about disruptive conduct, and (E)(10)(b), which talks about the classroom.)

To notify the CASE office of a student concern please submit a Student Conduct Report.

For help or more information, contact us at

Call 419-530-HELP (4357).

Last Updated: 1/30/24