Working as a Tutor
Click here to meet our tutors.
Tutors in the Learning Enhancement Center are selected from an extensive screening process which includes:
- 3 references (2 must be from UT, the other can be a professional from the community)
- assessment of subject knowledge,
- maintaining a minimum of a 3.5 overall GPA, and
- receiving an A in the subject(s) they are tutoring.
Our tutors are involved in all aspects of campus life, as well as, being high academic achievers.
Our tutors complete approximately 10 hours of training each year. The LEC continually strives to provide the best customer service possible.
Thank for your interest in tutoring at the LEC.
Please review carefully the qualifications listed below. If you do not meet these qualifications – please do not apply at this time.
- At least sophomore standing
- If a transfer student or graduate student, at least two successful semesters at UT.
- An overall GPA of 3.5 or above.
- A grade of “A” in course(s) you would like to tutor.
- Content competency required in subjects you tutor (references from faculty required).
Necessary Skills for Tutoring Position
- Good interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to guide students in understanding difficult concepts (this requires knowing how to ask questions to help students discover the answers).
- Commitment to facilitating learning, not teaching
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Dependability and reliability
- Maturity and professionalism
Interested in becoming a Tutor
You will not be contacted until all your application materials are complete. Those interested in tutoring math, if selected, there will be an interview with Dr. Weck-Schwarz to determine the level(s) of math you will be able to tutor. She will contact you, if selected for an interview.
Call 419.530.2176 to learn more.