Film and Video Bachelor's Degree Overview
Experimentation is central to The University of Toledo’s film and video bachelor’s degree program. Become a compelling storyteller in a variety of technologies. Develop skills in all areas of motion picture production from shooting, producing and editing to final delivery.
Students study experimental and mainstream live productions and cinema. UToledo’s film and video program has produced directors and filmmaking professionals who are leaving their marks in creative industries around the world.
Film and Video Bachelor's Degree Highlights
- Hands-on learning. Film projects require UToledo film and video students to build teams, manage deadlines and coordinate activities and resources. Film majors collaborate with other students in UToledo’s School of Visual and Performing Arts.
- State-of-the-art studios and technology. UToledo's film and video degree program is housed in the Center for Performing Arts. The facility has state-of-the-art A/V equipment and technology in recording, lighting, editing, sound mixing, animation, optical printing, film screening and more.
- Learn 16 mm film and digital cinema and video. UToledo’s film degree program is one of the only programs in the region to offer both.
- Faculty and guest lecturers who practice what they teach. Visiting directors and filmmaking professionals from around the world mentor students and teach master classes and workshops.
- Learn from the Toledo arts community. Undergraduates in the film and video bachelor’s degree program work with local arts organizations such as WGTE (Toledo’s public broadcasting station), the Toledo Arts Commission, Toledo Museum of Art, Pro Video and Toledo School for the Arts.
- Travel and network. UToledo supports student filmmakers who want to study abroad or attend conferences and film festivals in Ohio, across the U.S. and overseas. Film and video undergraduates have even attended the Cannes Film Festival.
- Student filmmakers showcase. This annual event at The University of Toledo's Center for Performing Arts screens the best work from students in UT’s film and video classes.
|A/V archivist and restorer||Post-production artist|
|Camera operator||Sound designer|
|Lighting technician||Video editor|
|Motion graphics specialist|
"Everything [at UT] was so hands-on. The equipment was available all the time. So we always were able to develop an idea that was in our heads."
Andrew Makadsi, Beyonce's Art Director
Film and video and communication '10
Learn more about Andrew Makadsi in UT News
"Studying optical printing and related 16mm production not only taught me a new appreciation for modern-day filmmaking materials, but it also forced me to become a more disciplined filmmaker and artist. As a result, I've branched into several creative endeavors that I might not have otherwise. In addition, the shared experience with other students created a strong sense of community and camaraderie."
"I joined The University of Toledo Film and Video Society as a board member. My colleagues and I worked on countless films together, learned new skills and found new connections. During my time at UT, I was given the opportunity to work on set with the Arts & Entertainment Network. When A&E offered me a position on the set of one of its newest television shows, Dead Again, I jumped at the opportunity. To my surprise, this show was being produced by Dick Wolf, well known for his production of the Law & Order series. Ever since, job offerings as a cameraman, production assistant and editor have been given to me. I wouldn't have had these opportunities without my education."
Film and video '15
Film and Video Bachelor's Degree Curriculum
Film and Video Bachelor's Degree Sample Classes:
|Video I||Optical Printing|
Internship Opportunities for Film and Video Bachelor's Degree
Earn credits toward your film and video bachelor’s degree with an optional internship. Students have interned for:
|Ambush Entertainment, Los Angeles||Nancy Mosser Casting|
|BET Network||Samuel Goldwyn Films|
|Cannes Film Festival||Viacom, Inc.|
|Conrad Studios/Sector 8 Films||The Walt Disney Co.|