Office of Residence Life

UTOLEDO Residency Requirement

All first-year and second-year students that are under the age of 21, who live outside of a twenty-five mile radius from the university are required to live on campus and have a meal plan.  Students who live on campus typically engage in more activities than their off-campus peers.  These activities lead to higher academic engagement, a greater sense of belonging to the University community, greater security and support and ultimately allows the student to be more successful in their academic pursuits.

All residence halls are located close to dining and classes, is a great way to meet new friends and enjoy all that campus has to offer.   We recommend students apply now so you can secure your room on campus.  

The University of Toledo residency requirement policy can be found here.


There are instances in which the University may grant students an exemption from this policy.  You may request a residency exemption by clicking here Residency Exemption Request.  Submitting an application for review does not guarantee an exemption.  The application should be filled out thoroughly and include any documentation to support your exemption request.  Applications without a personal statement will be denied.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am required to live on campus next academic year.  What if I do not apply and am not approved for a residency exemption?

Students who do not complete a University Housing application or a lease with Honors Academic Village will be charged for housing and a meal plan based on the average University Housing room rate. This fee will be added to student e-bills.

Can I change my permanent address and be exempt from the residency requirement?

Changing your permanent address will not change your status as required to live on.  The address used to verify the residency requirement is the one at time of your university application.

My college credit plus credits put me in sophomore status.  Am I still required?

This requirement is not based on credit hours but on semesters completed as an undergraduate student at the University of Toledo.  Students must complete four semesters as a full time student post high school by the first day of the fall semester.

I need help completing my University Housing application.  Who can I contact?

If you would like to make an appointment to meet with a Housing staff member to complete the housing application, please email us at or call 419.530.2941.

Last Updated: 4/2/24