Household Items Giveaway
Donate furniture and household items to help newly arriving international students at the University of Toledo!
Information for International Students who need furniture and household items:
Welcome to Toledo. We want to help make your stay here more comfortable and pleasant. We are so glad that you are investing several years of your life in Toledo, studying in our community. To serve you better, you need to know the following things:
• This project is only for international students and visiting scholars. You must be here under an F1 or J1 visa to qualify. We may need to verify your status with the international student office before we can help you.
• We must give priority to newly arriving students, who have nothing. Students who have been here for a while have access to more resources like driver's licenses, friends with cars, knowledge of where to get help in the city. Newly arriving students don't have these resources and so our first responsibility is to them.
• Once we have helped you with furniture, if you move to a new apartment in Toledo, it is your responsibility to move the furniture we have given you to your new apartment. You can rent a truck for a few hours or a day for around $20-30 from places like U-Haul or Home Depot, or Lowes. Anyone with a drivers license can drive the truck, so all you need is a few friends who can help, and you can move your furniture to your new apartment.
• We cannot provide replacement furniture if your furniture becomes damaged, dirty, or infested with bed-bugs. It is your responsibility to keep your apartment and furniture clean.
• If you need furniture, please send all the following information to us via email to Wes Blood at email@example.com:
• all international students: please download this flyer and follow the instructions carefully:
Information for Americans who want to help with this extraordinary project:
Year round, Global Opportunities in Toledo sponsors a furniture and household items giveaway for international students.
New incoming students will receive a flyer at their International Student Orientation meeting, telling the how they can request the furniture, via email.
They will be matched with a driver of a van or pickup truck who will pick them up and take them to the old Banner Mattress Warehouse, where they can select what they might need from available furniture, household items and small appliances.
How you can help:
1. Donate Furniture and Household Items
If you live in the Toledo area and have any good used furniture, small appliances, clean mattresses, or other useful household items, consider donating them to our Global Opportunities project. You may bring the items, by appointment, to the old Banner Mattress warehouse at 3342 Monroe St. Please call Wes or Marjie Blood at 419-478-8325 to set an appointment.
Or we can pick them up. To arrange for a pick up, please contact Wes Blood (419-478-8325 firstname.lastname@example.org).
We are looking for donations of the following decent-quality used items:
Things we cannot use:
For more information please contact Wes anytime.
2. Be a Driver
If you have a pickup truck or delivery truck and would like to help a student pick up their household items, please contact the number below and you will be given detailed information. To volunteer as a driver, contact Wes Blood at 419-478-8325 or email him at email@example.com