- On Campus Interview Reservation
- Resume Collect/Direct Mail Registration
- Directions & Lodging
- Career Services Home
Law Office of Professional Development
1825 W. Rocket Dr., Ste. 1030
2801 W. Bancroft, MS 507
Toledo, OH 43606
Information for Toledo Law Students & Graduates
What is reciprocity?
Reciprocity describes the situation when law schools provide reasonable access to their career resources for students and graduates from other law schools that agree to provide similar services. Students and graduates of Toledo Law may request reciprocity from schools in other areas through the Office of Professional Development.
It is important to understand that each law school has its own reciprocity requirements. Before asking the OPD to request reciprocity from another school, a Toledo Law student/graduate should review the reciprocity policy of that school to confirm that the services provided are what the individual is seeking and that they understand the terms.
A few things you should consider when reviewing the reciprocity policies of other schools:
- Does the school require that individuals who are granted reciprocity physically go to their career office to review a list of postings, or do they allow electronic access?
- Is there a period of time (usually during fall on-campus interview season) when a school will not grant reciprocal services?
- How long does a grant of reciprocity last (and is it renewable)?
- Does the school require the individuals who are granted reciprocity to pay a fee?
The reciprocity information for some NALP member law schools are posted at the link below. To view policies before contacting the OPD to assist with a request for reciprocity, go to http://www.nalp.org/reciprocitypolicies or check the web site of the school from which you would like to request reciprocity.
How do I request reciprocity?
Please contact the Office of Professional Development if you would like to request reciprocity from another school (requests for reciprocity will need to be made by the OPD, not the student or graduate).
Toledo Law will only request reciprocity from one school at a time for an individual.
Please note that there are circumstances under which Toledo Law may not be able to
request reciprocity from another school. Whether OPD is able to make a request is
evaluated on a case-by-case basis depending on the policy of the other school and
the prior use of reciprocal services by other Toledo Law students and graduates.
If reciprocity is granted, students/graduates must honor the reciprocity policy of the host school.
Information for Students & Graduates of Other Law Schools Requesting Reciprocity from Toledo Law
Toledo Law Reciprocity Policy
Reciprocal services are available to students and alumni of those law schools that offer reciprocal services to Toledo Law students and graduates. Reciprocity is available under the following terms and conditions:
- Reciprocity is available to students and graduates of ABA accredited law schools that
grant reciprocity to The University of Toledo College of Law students and graduates.
Reciprocity is available for a three month period. Requests for renewals will be evaluated
on an individual basis.
- No reciprocity will be granted from August 1 to December 1 due to Fall On-Campus Interviews.
- Requests for reciprocal services must be made in writing in advance of the planned
visit by a member of the student/graduate’s home law career services office on behalf
of the student/graduate requesting reciprocity. Please include the student/graduate’s
current address, graduation year, and volunteer that the same services offered by
the individual’s home school will be available to Toledo Law students or graduates.
- Employment listings, reference materials, and other office handouts will be made available
to students/graduates using our services. Limited counseling is available (by appointment
only) for reciprocal students and graduates. Computer and fax privileges are available
on a limited basis.
- Upon formal request, we will provide current students/graduates with a password that
will allow access to our Symplicity on-line job posting web site. We no longer produce
a hard copy of a graduate job bulletin.
- Reciprocal students/graduates may not participate in on-campus interviews.
- Reciprocal students/graduates must bring a copy of the reciprocity grant letter with
them and check in with Office of Professional Development personnel each time they
use the office.
- Decisions about reciprocity are made on a case-by-case basis by the Assistant Dean for Career Services and Alumni Affairs. We reserve the right to refuse to grant reciprocity at any time. Further, reciprocity may be revoked or denied if individuals misuse our facilities or do not comply with our policies.
Reciprocity Policy as of August 2013
Inquiries should be addressed to:
Office of Professional Development, The University of Toledo College of Law
2801 W. Bancroft, Mail Stop # 507, Toledo, OH 43606-3390