Office Of Student Retention And Academic Success

Frequently Asked Questions - Undergraduate Programs

Q: Who is my advisor?
A: COBI advisors are not "assigned" to a student. The university does require that we list an advisor’s name in your portal, but this is an option – not a requirement for you. As a COBI student, you are allowed to choose any advisor on staff that you would like to meet with - whether that is the first advisor available or a specific advisor with which you've worked in the past. If you are sending a request to and would like to work with a specific advisor, just put that advisor's name in your email!

Q: What is full-time student status?
A: To be considered a full-time student, you must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours each term. To be full-time during the summer term, you must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours using any combination of summer sessions. You will pay the same tuition for 12 to 18 hours. (Other fees may vary)

Q: How many credit hours are recommended each term?
A: To graduate in four years (eight semesters of full-time study), you must average 15-16 credit hours per Fall and Spring term. However, if you are working more than 20 hours per week, you may need to reduce your credit hours in order to be successful in your course work. Speak with your advisor about what what that might look like for you.

Q: What is “Catalog Year” and how is it determined?
A: Catalog year refers to the semester you began your program at UToledo and therefore determines your degree requirements, based on the university catalog at that time. At any time, your academic advisor can update your catalog year to the current catalog and degree program requirements, if that is to your advantage.

A student’s catalog year is listed on the first page of the degree audit in the upper right corner and also in the left column, under the degree audit legend.

Q: Why am I in Pre-Business?

A:  All students accepted into the BBA program start out as a Pre-Business.  You will become eligible to declare your major(s) when you meet the following requirements. 

  • 60+ applied credit hours (earned hours + what you're registered for this semester)
  • A minimum GPA of 2.25 in your Lower Division business courses
  • An overall minimum GPA  of 2.25 or higher

If you do not meet the overall standards but have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 upon appeal, you will be reviewed by the college admission committee for admission to your chosen major on an individual basis. 

Q: What are the grade requirements in the area of specialization (major)?
A: You must earn a minimum grade of C (2.0) in each course in the area of specialization and, if applicable, in each course in your business minor.

Q: How many “Withdrawals” are allowed?
A: You may withdraw from eight courses before possibly affecting your academic status. If you have additional questions, discuss this option with your academic advisor and Rocket Solution Central.

Q: How do I calculate my grade point average?
A: To average your grades for the term, first multiple the quality hours by the quality points for each course and then divide the sum of the quality points by the sum of the quality hours.

Using the grade point scale:

A  =  4 points

C = 2 points

A- = 3.67 points

C- = 1.67 points

B+ = 3.33 points

D+ = 1.33 points

B = 3 points

D = 1 point

B- = 2.67 points

D- = .67 points

C+ = 2.33 points

F = 0 points


ENGL 1110 --> B+

3 hours x 3.33 points/hour = 9.99 points

MATH 1320 --> C

3 hours x 2 points/hour = 6 points

PSC 1200 --> B

3 hours x 3 points/hour = 12 points

ASTR 1010 --> B-

3 hours x 2.67 points/hour = 8.01 points

ASTR 2050 --> A

1 hour  x 4 points/hour = 4 points


13 hours                           =   40 points

40 quality points / 13 quality hours = 3.07GPA
The cumulative GPA is the average of all your grades for all terms.

Q: What is my GPA in my area of specialization (major)?
A: The degree audit lists the major GPA just above the courses listed in the major.

Q: How do I take a course on a pass/no credit (PS/NC) basis?
A: For COBI students, only non-business courses may be taken on a Pass/No Credit basis, for a maximum of 4 courses or 12 semester credit hours. You must decide during the add/drop period of the term to use this option. The selection cannot be reversed once you submit a Pass/No Credit form.

If you would like to take a class as Pass/No Credit, complete the PS/NC form and send it to to select this grading option. If you earn a grade of C (2.0) or higher for the course, a grade of "PS" is posted on your transcript. If a grade of C- or lower is earned, a grade of "NC" is posted. You may want to use this option if you are fairly certain you can earn the "C" but do not have the extra time to devote to earn an "A", and don't want the "C" to lower their GPA. 

Q: My address has changed. How do I update it?
A: Address corrections may be made easily on myUT in the web registration area under student information. Assistance with this process is available in Rocket Solution Central. Students should always list a local address. Important information is sent to this address, and a student may miss out on this information if no local address is listed.

Q: I tried to for courses online, but it didn’t work. What's wrong?
A: During early registration periods, there are priority registration times that designate when a student may register for courses. You may be trying to register before your designated time.  Please visit the following website for priority registration dates:

There may also be a "Hold" of some type (library or parking fines, money owed for tuition, advising required, etc.) which is blocking your attempts to register. "Holds” and the office you should contact to have them removed may be viewed in the top right corner of your Student Profile in the MyUT Portal.

Call Rocket Solution Central at 419-530-8700 if you need additional assistance.

Q: How do I know what Math classes to take?
A: A student's ACT, SAT or Math Placement Test score is used to place the student into the appropriate course.

An ACT math score of 24 or higher or an ALEKS Test score of 68 or higher places a student into MATH 1730 – the only CORE Education math course required in the BBA.

Lower scores will place a student into MATH 1320 or MATH 1200. Technical Associate Degree or BAT-AOT students also have the option of MATH 1180. Students must successfully complete each math prerequisite before enrolling in the next course in the math sequence.  A letter grade of C- or higher is required to move forward in the math sequence.

Q: I need CORE Education courses in the following areas; Humanities, Social Science, Natural Science, and Multicultural.   How do I know what course that is?
A: The easiest way to lookup a Core/General Education Humanities courses for the current term is through an "Advanced Search" in "Register/Drop/Withdraw Courses” in your MyUT Portal.  Click on “Browse Classes” and choose the appropriate semester. Leave the subject and course number blank, click “Advanced Search”, and then select "Core Humanities, Social Science, Natural Science or Multicultural" from the Attribute drop-down menu. This will provide you with a full list of course options found within the specific CORE Education area for the current semester. Compare this list to those courses listed in your degree audit. The audit recommends those courses designed for non-Science majors.   

Q: What is my class rank at the University?
A: Class rank is based on the number of earned semester hours. Earned hours are shown on page one, column one of the degree audit. Please note: earned hours used to determine class rank are not necessarily an indication of hours toward degree completion.

Rank is determined as follows for Bachelor degree students:
Freshman --> 0-29.9 hours
Sophomore -->  30-59.9 hours
Junior -->  60-89.9 hours
Senior -->  90+ hours

Rank is determined as follows for Associate degree students:
Freshman -->  0-29.9 hours
Sophomore -->  30+ hours

Q: What does it mean to "audit" a course?
A: When a student "audits" a course, the course is not graded nor is any credit earned. The student is not required to complete any assignments or tests and if he/she does complete assignments, the instructor is not required to grade them. A student may select this option at the time of registration through the last day to add/drop. The student pays for this course as they would any other course.

 This is a very rare option, possibly used by someone who had previously earned credit for a course but is returning to school after many years and wants to refresh their knowledge. It may also be used by a student who wants to take a course for knowledge's sake only.

Q: What does a grade of "incomplete" (IN) mean?
A: If an instructor assigns a grade of incomplete, he/she is allowing the student additional time to complete the course requirements. This would be used when unforeseen circumstances do not allow the student to complete the course on time. It is an agreement between the instructor and the student. An instructor is not required to use this grading option. It is the student's responsibility to contact the instructor and make the necessary arrangements to complete the course by the end of the following term (excluding summer term) or the grade converts to a grade of "F". An instructor may extend the time limit under some circumstances.

Q: How do I know I am taking an online course?

A: All online courses are listed in the 900 sections (ex: 901, 902, 903). These courses will have no days of the week highlighted under meeting time (Except math courses), and they will note in the location “OCDL ONLINE” as the room.

Q: Why does the online Math course list a day/time?

A: Per the Math Department policy, most online Math courses require a live log-in time.  This means that while you will not be required to come to campus, you will need to be in front of your computer at a specific time(s) each week. It will list the day/times when a student is registering for courses.

Q: Do online courses require a proctored test?

A: Some online courses will require proctored tests per department requirements to ensure academic honesty. Students may check with the course information on UTonline or with the course instructor for more information.

Q: Where can I find the pre-req of a course?

A: A pre-requisite (pre-req) is a course that must be taken or a test score that must be earned before a student can register for another course.  Pre-req information is found in the registration system by selecting the title of a course.  This will provide a separate box with additional information about the course/section.  Select the pre-req option which will explain what is needed to be prepared for the course in question.

Q: Where can I find my week at a glance for scheduling purposes?

A: On your myUT Student Tab, click "Register/Drop/Withdraw" under my Registration step

--> Choose "Register for Classes"
--> Choose the current semester from the drop-down menu
--> Instead of searching for classes, click the last tab on the top right "Schedule and Options"
--> this will give you list of all the courses you are registered for and below it will be your week at glance schedule. Both can be printed by clicking the little printer icon in the top right corner

Q: Can an advisor schedule my courses for me?

A: Advisor cannot schedule classes for a student nor adjust a student’s schedule. While advisors are available to recommend courses and to verify a student’s registration to ensure they are on the right track, it is the student’s responsibility to actually register for the courses.

Q: What is a degree audit?

A: A degree audit is an electronic check sheet for a student’s degree program.

Q: Can I access my degree audit?

A: Yes, students have access to their degree audit within their MyUT Portal --> Student Tab --> My Records --> Run Degree Audit.

Q: How do I apply for graduation?

A: Students can apply for graduation via their MyUT Portal --> Student Tab --> My Records --> Apply to Graduate.

Last Updated: 6/27/22