College of Law

Study Abroad

Although Toledo Law does not offer a formal study abroad program, our students are free to take study abroad law courses offered for credit by another ABA-accredited law school with prior approval from the associate dean for academic affairs.

Students should complete the petition form that is available in the Law Registrar's Office or under the "Law" tab in the myUT portal (login required). Petitions must include the name and address of the law school offering the program, the courses to be taken, and the credit hours offered for each course. A description of the program and courses should be attached to the petition. Petitions turned in to the Law Registrar's Office will be forwarded for approval to the associate dean for academic affairs.

Review ABA Approved Foreign Study Policies for more information.

Credit for Course Work

All study abroad course work must be pre-approved.

Only graded law courses will transfer (e.g., A, B+, B, etc.). No pass/fail, credit/no credit, satisfactory/unsatisfactory, etc. courses will transfer. Only grades of "C" or better will transfer.

No credit for externships, internships, or clinics will transfer.

Students should have an official transcript from their summer program sent directly to:

Law Registrar
The University of Toledo College of Law
2801 W. Bancroft, MS 507
Toledo, OH 43606‐3390 

Financial Aid

After completing your first year of law school, you may use federal financial aid for study abroad programs upon completion of the FAFSA, Consortium Agreement, and approval of the associate dean for academic affairs. Institutional aid, such as scholarships, cannot be used for study abroad costs. Contact the Law Finanical Aid for more information.

Last Updated: 4/3/20