The University of Toledo Internal Medicine Residency Program is looking for qualified applicants. We are a competitive university program and receive over 1800 applications per year. We extend interviews to just over 170 candidates.
The purpose of this policy is to establish appropriate standards and practices for the recruitment, selection, and appointment of internal medicine residents, and to ensure that all applications are processed in a fair and nondiscriminatory manner.
Internal Medicine Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
Eligible applicants must be graduates of a medical school accredited by either the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) or of an international medical school listed by the World Health Organization published World Directory of Medical Schools. International Medical Graduates must have a current, valid certificate from the Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or have a full unrestricted license to practice medicine in an US licensing jurisdiction. Graduates of medical schools outside the United States who have completed a fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school are also eligible.
Medical Science Examinations
- Applicants must have passed Steps 1, 2 (Clinical Knowledge and Clinical Skills), minimum USMLE Step I & 2 score of 212 or 82. Lower scores for candidates with special qualifications are accepted after reviewed by the Residency Administrative Committee.
- Applicants should have graduated medical school within the past three years. Longer periods of hiatus away from medicine will be looked upon unfavorably unless in a structured recognized postgraduate training.
- Foreign citizens who are Permanent Residents (“Green Card” holders), work permit holders, or who are graduates of a US medical school are eligible for appointment on the same basis as US citizen graduates of US medical schools. The University of Toledo accepts J1 Visas.
The Internal Medicine Residency Program will not discriminate with regard to gender, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, marital status, familial status, pregnancy, or sexual orientation.
Criteria for H visa sponsorship:
- Passed USMLE Step 3 exam by date of rank order list certification.
- ECFMG certified, except those who will be graduating
- Categorical candidates only
The Interview Process
The Program Director/coordinator presents a power point presentation to the candidates addressing the policies, structure of the program. While we used in the past years to interview candidates individually and one on one with the faculty, the two years we conducted the interviews in a panel format where at least four faculty and the chief resident along with at least one resident interviews the candidate.
Each member of the panel give a score (1 - 10) and the average of all scores is recorded.
Total number of applicants received annually over the last seven years for PGY1 residency positions.