Recreational Therapy Bachelor's Degree Overview
The University of Toledo offers the only accredited recreation therapy program in Ohio. Our program was named the "Best Value Parks and Recreation Degree Program" by College Values Online 2016.
Recreational therapists design and implement treatment programs and recreation services to help people with illnesses or disabling conditions live healthier, more satisfying and independent lives. They work with people who are mentally, physically and emotionally disabled.
UToledo students explore the therapeutic value of recreation and leisure activities, from sports to arts and crafts.
Undergraduates start as pre-recreational therapy majors and apply to begin the professional sequence during their sophomore years. Admission is competitive. UT is one of the few institutions to provide clinical learning experiences before a student's internship.
UT undergraduates must complete one or more of the following tracks:
Recreational Therapy Bachelor's Degree Highlights
- The only recreational therapy program in Ohio. College Values Online 2016 named our program the "Best Value Parks and Recreation Degree Program" for 2016. The ranking considers tuition, financial aid, return on investment and the number of minors, concentrations or areas of emphasis.
- Unique undergrad clinical experiences. Not many schools require students to work in the field. UToledo’s RT graduates are job-ready. Students complete 810 hours of professional experience, including five 50-hour clinical rotations with various populations.
- Pre-occupational therapy track. Earn your BS in recreational therapy and meet the requirements for admission into UT’s occupational therapy doctorate (OTD) program. RT majors can apply for early admission to the OTD program during their junior years.
- Above-average pass rate for certification exam. UT students are well-prepared for the Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists exam. Some agencies and facilities require this certification for employment.
- Job placement rate as high as 98%.
- Community outreach. Join our Recreation Therapy Club. Attend conferences and outreach events in the community. Network with professionals in the field. Volunteer and work with persons with disabilities.
- Accreditation. Our program has been accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Park, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions since 1990.
Our recreational therapy program has a 98% job placement rate. Graduates find rewarding opportunities in the growing field of home health care and in:
|Physical rehabilitation||Pediatric services|
|Psychiatric rehabilitation||Community recreation/camps for individuals with disabilities|
|Geriatric services||Centers for developmental disabilities|
Many UT students also go on to graduate school. They have been admitted to:
|University of North Carolina||Clemson University|
|George Washington University||Indiana University|
|The University of Toledo||University of Wisconsin|
|University of Maryland School of Medicine||Cleveland State University|
|The Ohio State University||Chicago State University|
"The recreational therapy program gave me the opportunity to gain amazing clinical and internship experience that has prepared me for my future career, and has improved my skills and abilities. The courses and field work have instilled within me the passion and commitment to improving the lives of others. Both the program and professors were helpful and encouraging throughout my experience, and I am thankful for everything I've learned."
Devin Goodrich, '15
"Every class, professor and classmate in UT's recreational therapy program contributed to my preparation and professional development. I couldn't have asked for a better environment from which to begin my lifelong journey."
Jessica Perry, '15
Recreational Therapy Bachelor's Degree Plan of Study
Recreational Therapy Bachelor’s Degree Sample Courses
|Leisure, Recreation and Aging||Leadership and Administration of Outdoor Pursuits|
|Animal Assisted Therapy||Intellectual Deficit/Development Disability|
|Creative Arts Therapies|
View Plan of Study