Adult and Transfer Admission

Frequently Asked Questions about the transfer process

UToledo transfer Admission

How do I apply as a transfer student?

Review our step-by-step guide to our transfer application process. It includes information on how to obtain and send in your transcripts.

When is the best time to apply?

You can apply any time after September 1 for spring, summer or fall semester of the following year. You can submit an application up to one year in advance. Applications are valid for a year. Applications for the spring semester (beginning in January) are not reviewed until September.

What are the admission requirements for transfer students?

Transfer students must fulfill University of Toledo admission requirements as well as the requirements of their college program. You can find admission requirements for your college program in our UToledo undergraduate catalog. Click on your college, Degrees/Programs Offered and then your major.

Can I apply as an in-state resident? What are your residency requirements?

The Ohio Board of Regents establishes guidelines for determining Ohio residency for tuition purposes. You also can petition to be reclassified as an Ohio resident if you meet certain qualifications. If you reside in Monroe County (Mich.), you are considered an in-state resident. Read more about residency requirements and our answers to frequently asked questions about residency.

If I transfer to UToledo, does my GPA transfer?

All transfer students have three GPAs at the University of Toledo:

  • UToledo GPA — GPA for all the courses you have taken at The University of Toledo
  • Transfer GPA — GPA for all courses that you have taken at other regionally accredited institutions of higher learning
  • Higher Ed GPA — GPA that encompasses all the courses you have ever taken from all regionally accredited institutions of higher learning

Your previous GPA will not transfer to UToledo. Your cumulative higher education GPA will be used in the admission process. Note that your cumulative higher education GPA is used for some selective admission programs/majors.

Are transfer students required to live on campus?

No. Transfer students are exempt from our requirement that all first- and second-year students who live more than 25 miles from UToledo live on campus.

Transferring Credits

How do I know if my credits will transfer to UToledo?

This is the big question. And we have a whole Transfer Your Credit webpage to answer it. Our transfer specialists and your academic advisor at your current institution will be your best resources.  

Can I appeal my transfer credit evaluation? 

Yes. If you feel your credits should have been evaluated differently, you may appeal the equivalency decision.

You must fill out the Transfer Credit Appeal form and provide a syllabus from the disputed course that includes the topics covered, textbook used and a list of lab experiments (if applicable).

If you believe you should have received Writing Across the Curriculum credit for a course, you will need to supply a syllabus that explains the writing process and assignments.

Email the Transfer Credit Appeal form and course syllabus to or drop off at the Office of the Registrar in Rocket Hall, Room 1800.

All appeal materials will be sent to a faculty member in that area of study for transfer review.

Tuition and Transfer Scholarships

How much is tuition and room and board? Does UToledo offer transfer scholarships?

Most of our transfer students receive financial aid. Refer to our Tuition and Transfer Scholarship page. The page has everything you need to know ― UToledo costs, merit scholarship requirements and when to file your FAFSA.

When you apply, you’ll automatically be considered for transfer admission merit scholarships. No other application necessary. Additional applications may be necessary if you choose to apply for other kinds of scholarships found in our scholarship search tool.

Make sure you submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to qualify for these additional scholarships and federal loans, grants and work study.

How and when do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for any sort of federal financial aid ― loans, grants or work study ― you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). It can be filed online starting Oct. 1 each year for the following academic year. Be sure to include The University of Toledo's school code: 003131.

If you already submitted a FAFSA for the academic year, you can log in to the FAFSA site with your ID and password to add UToledo’s federal code.

FAFSA Step-by-Step Guide

Have Questions?

Contact our UToledo Adult and Transfer Team.

Call 419.530.8888 or 800.586.5336
(ask for the Adult and Transfer Admission office)
Visit 1100 Rocket Hall
Find Your Admission Counselor
Last Updated: 10/6/22