Engineering Graduate Studies

Early Admission B.S./M.S. Program

Students currently enrolled in any B.S. engineering program at The University of Toledo have an opportunity to fast-track a master's degree by taking graduate level coursework as part of the undergraduate degree program. The program allows participants to:

  • Complete and apply up to 9-credit hours of graduate coursework toward the B.S. and M.S. degree requirements;
  • Accelerate the initiation of their research activities; and
  • Get a full year head start on their M.S. degree.

A student accepted into the B.S./M.S. program will be dual matriculated. Students will be able to enroll in approved graduate level courses while paying undergraduate tuition and using current scholarships and financial aid. When the B.S. degree is completed, the student's undergraduate matriculation is removed, allowing the student to proceed seamlessly into the M.S. program.


The B.S./M.S. program is open to all students in the College of Engineering that have:

  • A Higher Education GPA of 3.3 or higher
  • Completed at least 2 of the 3 integrated co-op rotations (only required for engineering science programs)


Sophia Soehnlen

B.S./M.S. Bioengineering

"When you’re passionate about something, it doesn’t feel like you’re working. It doesn’t feel stressful because you are working towards a bigger goal."

Sophie started her master’s degree while completing her undergraduate courses, and finished her master's degree in August 2023. She is now attending medical school at The Ohio State University.


Students interested in the B.S./M.S. program should discuss their intentions with their Department Student Services Director and complete the B.S./M.S. Early Admission Program Checksheet.

Students applying for the B.S./M.S. program must apply in the semester prior to their admit term. The admit term is the semester in which the student intends to take his/her first graduate level course. A complete application for M.S. admission consists of:

  • the completed regular application form at; indicate BS/MS program in the statement of purpose;
  • two to three Letters of Recommendation (depending on the MS program); 
  • a statement of purpose/interest in the degree program (1 page); and
  • a current resume (for all degree programs).

Programs that require the GRE may allow you to submit a GRE waiver or may make provisional admission decisions in advance of receiving scores.


Students may only register for graduate-level coursework after admission to the M.S. program. Graduate courses must satisfy the following conditions:

  • All graduate-level courses must satisfy program requirements for the M.S. degree and be approved by the Graduate Program Director or Department Chair prior to registration.
  • Only 9-credit hours of graduate level coursework may be taken and applied to the M.S. degree. Any graduate level coursework taken prior to formal admission or in excess of the 9 credit hours (prior to completion of the B.S. degree) will be charged at the standard graduate tuition rate and will not be eligible for inclusion in the M.S. Plan of Study.


For each term that you are taking graduate level courses, you must complete and submit the Pipeline Program Financial Aid Agreement (under miscellaneous forms at This agreement ensures that your student status (full-time or part-time) is based on your total (grad and undergrad) cr hr course load.


Students in ET programs are eligible to apply to all graduate programs offered in the College, including either of the online, part-time M.S. programs (General Engineering or Energy Engineering) and any of the other on campus graduate programs offered in the College.

Admission to one of the on campus M.S. degree programs in the College requires additional undergraduate coursework, typically differential equations and 2-3 other core engineering courses in the discipline. ET students should speak with the Graduate Program Director for the M.S. program to which they intend to apply to determine additional or substitute coursework to take as part of their undergraduate degree program that will qualify them for M.S. program admission in one of the on campus degree programs.


Prospective B.S./M.S. students should speak with department faculty about current research projects to establish areas of common interest. Initiating research while an undergraduate, either for the M.S. thesis or in an unrelated area, is strongly encouraged. Students admitted to the B.S./M.S. program should discuss with their department Graduate Program Director the process and timing for selecting an official research adviser.

For more information regarding the B.S./M.S. Early Admission Program, students should contact their Department Student Services Director and/or Department Graduate Program Director.

Last Updated: 9/21/23