Office of the Registrar

Address Changes

Address changes can be made in any of the following ways:

  • Use the My Toolkit > My Other Resources channel in the myUT Web portal  to change permanent, local, billing, graduation and/or emergency addresses (changes to other address types, such as special or international, need to be made in the appropriate office)
  • Show a picture ID at the Rocket Solution Central (RSC) in RH 1200
  • Email with an updated address. Email must be sent FROM University of Toledo rockets email address. Be sure to include student's name, Student ID number, phone number, new address and whether it is permanent, local, billing etc.
  • Requests for address changes cannot be taken over the phone.
  • International addresses cannot be used as the permanent or local address.

Failure to maintain a current local or permanent address may result in a delay in the refunding process.

Last Updated: 8/2/21