Office of the Registrar

Loan Deferment Form Process


The University of Toledo participates in the National Student Loan Clearinghouse located in Herndon, Virginia. The University electronically submits student enrollment status information each term to the Clearinghouse, which in turn supplies verification of enrollment to lending agencies.

A number of lenders and loan servicing organizations that are members of the Clearinghouse participate in a Paperless Deferment Process. With this process, no paper forms need to be completed by either students or schools—the student simply calls his or her lender to request a deferment. The lender then matches this request against the Clearinghouse electronic data and verifies the in-school status of the student.

If a lender does not participate in the Paperless Deferment Process and needs a paper deferment form completed, the form should be submitted on Main Campus to Rocket Solution Central located in Rocket Hall Room 1200 or on Health Science Campus to Mulford Library Room 114. Paper deferment forms turned in are forwarded to the Clearinghouse, which completes the forms and returns them to the lender. The University of Toledo does not supply this information directly to lending agencies. If a student has registered late or has had an exception processed to the term registration, this information may not be reported until the submission of the next file. 

If you receive a collection letter from a lender, or receive multiple deferment forms from a lender during a term in which you believe you should be in a deferred status, do the following:

1. Call the lending agency to see if a deferment form has been received from the Clearinghouse since the lender’s last communication with you. If you are unsure which agency services your student loans, go to the Clearinghouse’s Loan Locator Service to get this information. A list of phone numbers for most lenders is also available on the Clearinghouse web site.

2. If the lender indicates that the deferment has still not been processed, call the Clearinghouse at (703) 742-7791 and ask for a Student Service Representative. The representative will verify the date on which the deferment form was received by the Clearinghouse, the date the deferment was certified and mailed, the enrollment status that was certified, and where the form was sent.

3. If an emergency exists -- for example, you are 150 days delinquent and being threatened with default -- the Clearinghouse will intervene on your behalf by faxing another enrollment certification to the lender. Further, it will work with the lender to ensure that the form is processed on a high-priority basis.

4. If for any reason the Clearinghouse cannot resolve a problem with a lender, refer the matter to the Office of the Registrar (419-530-4845).

Have Questions?

Email for Main Campus Students
Email for Health Science Campus Students
Call Rocket Solution Central 419.530.8700
Monday - Wednesday and Friday 9 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Thursday 10 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Visit Rocket Solution Central 1200 Rocket Hall
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Rocket Hall is located near the corner of Secor Rd. and Dorr St.
View Main Campus map.
Last Updated: 6/27/22