Office of the Dean of Students

Frequently Asked Questions

My problem seems very complex and confusing. It also involves a lot of different offices and I just don't know where to start. What should I do?
The Office of the Dean of Students is particularly well equipped to help students sort out complex issues and know what office to contact for further help or guidance. Contact us with any complex or confidential issues at 419.530.8852 or email.

Who do I talk to when I miss a class due to illness or emergency situations?
In general, it is the student's responsibility to maintain contact with faculty and to explain their circumstances or request an accommodation. Please refer to the Missed Class Policy for further detail. Students may contact the Office of the Dean of Students for extenuating circumstances.

Where can I go to lodge a complaint or share a concern about an issue I am having with UT?
Students may contact the Office of Student Advocacy and Support for help with any University-related complaints. The primary purpose of the office is to protect the interests, rights, and privileges of students, staff, and faculty at all levels of university operations and programs. The Office of Student Advocacy and Support is designated by the university to function as an impartial and neutral resource to assist all members of the university community. The office provides information relating to university policies and procedures and facilitates the resolution of problems and grievances through informal investigation and mediation. The office does not replace or supersede other university grievances, complaint or appeal procedures.

The Office of Student Advocacy and Support is located in the Student Union room 2521.

To whom should I report the death of a currently enrolled UT student?
If a death of a student occurs, the Office of the Dean of Students needs to be contacted immediately for the necessary departments to be notified. The office number is 419.530.8852 or emailing.
The Dean of Students provides assistance to student's family, roommates, friends, and/or significant others regarding:

  • Courtesy notifications
  • Attendance/enrollment options
  • Information and referrals to campus and community resources
  • Provides assistance to family of student(s) locating personal belongings

How do I withdraw from classes this semester?
You can completely withdraw from a course before the withdrawal deadline of the term.  Deadlines are posted on the Office of the Registrar webpage.  You can make registration changes in your myUT portal, or in-person registration assistance is available through Rocket Solution Central at 1200 Rocket Hall or on the Health Science Campus at Mulford Library, Suite 114. 
Since withdrawn courses reduce your enrolled hours, withdrawing from courses may have an adverse effect on financial aid benefits, scholarships, loan deferments, athletic eligibility, health insurance, veterans' benefits, degree requirements, or other areas. If you are uncertain what effect withdrawing from the course(s) listed above will have on your situation, it is recommended that you contact the appropriate your advisor or the department for guidance before filing this petition.

How do I withdraw if I have a medical or mental health problem?
In the event of a serious medical/mental health condition or family emergency, a student may request a withdrawal from classes. All inquiries about medical/mental health withdrawals should be directed to the Registrar’s Office in Rocket Hall 1100 or call 419.530.4837 or 419.530.4845.  Students needing mental health services should contact Counseling Center.

Who do I contact if I have questions about the mandatory student health insurance policy?
The University of Toledo has a mandatory health insurance policy that indicates that domestic students registered for six or more on campus hours and International students registered for one hour must maintain health insurance. Students who are covered by another insurance plan may opt to waive UT's plan. For more information, contact the Medical Center Insurance Office at 419.530.3474 or 419.530.3493. To contact the insurance provider directly, contact Aetna Student Health at 866.746.6591 or

To whom can I complain about my professor?
Any concerns or complaints about the course content, grading, class requirements or your professor's behavior and teaching methods should be directed to the chair of the department of which your course is housed. If you need help determining who that person is, please contact the Dean of Students.

Where do I get a recommendation/Dean's disciplinary clearance for job, graduate school or law school applications?
All student conduct/disciplinary record checks for employment or graduate applications can be obtained from the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards in 2514 Student Union.

Last Updated: 2/4/20