Office of International Student and Scholar Services

Traveling to Canada

great lakes mapFrequently Asked Questions

1. Do I need a visa to get into Canada? 

Find out if you need a visa at Visit Canada

2. Where can I get a Canadian visitor visa?   

For application instructions, visit the Visit Canada's Visitor Visa page. 

Applications may be submitted online.

Get an Enrollment Letter from UToledo's OISSS (Office of International Student and Scholar Services) in the iRocket Portal.

Applications should be made at least one month (30 days) before your planned trip

3. If I don't need a Canadian visa to enter Canada, what should I carry with me when I travel?

International students who plan to travel to Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands for a short visit (less than 30 days) must be in possession of the following:

    • Valid Passport. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months when you reenter the U.S.
    • Valid I-94 card with D/S notation.
    • Valid I-20 for F-1 students. Page 3 of I-20 should be signed by one of the advisors in OISSS within the last 6 months.
    • Valid DS-2019 for J-1 visitors. The DS-2019 should be signed by OISSS within the last 6 months.
    • Proof of financial support other than your I-20 or DS-2019, i.e., original financial documents such as bank statements, financial guarantees, etc.

4. Do I need to get my I-20 or DS-2019 signed if I'm traveling to Canada?

  • That depends on the last time you had it signed. You will need to get a new signature if the signature on page 3 of your I-20, or page 1 of your DS-2019, is older than 6 months. Stop into OISSS at least a week before you travel or apply for a Canadian visitor visa.


Last Updated: 6/10/24