Course Approval Procedure and Timeline
Process for proposing a course for WAC designation:
- Review the information on the philosophy and pedagogy associated with writing across the curriculum available through the links on the WAC website to assure that the course you are proposing incorporates WAC principles and strategies.
- Use the list of criteria to guide course and syllabus development.
- Download the course proposal form: (http://www.utoledo.edu/llss/wac/wac_proposal.html), fill it out, save it as a word document, and email it with a copy of the syllabus to the chair of the WAC committee by the deadline. Submission must be electronic to facilitate review.
- The WAC committee will invite the faculty member submitting the proposal to meet with them to discuss their proposal before making a decision.
- If you are proposing a brand new course, and would like it to be designated WAC, the course proposal must be submitted to the WAC committee at the same time it is submitted for college review. This assures that if your college approves the course, it moves forward to Faculty Senate with the WAC designation assigned.
- All proposals, for both new courses and existing courses being transformed to WAC, must be sent to the WAC Committee no later than December 1. This assures that the courses are available for course scheduling in the early spring.
- The WAC committee will review and report on all applications by January 15.
- Courses awarded the WAC designation will be identified in the catalog for students and advisors and reviewed on a regular basis to assure that they remain WAC.
- Those responsible for entering course sections in Banner are also responsible for assuring that the WAC attribute is correctly entered for each course. This provision assures that students’ degree audits properly reflect the WAC credit they have earned.