Office of Residence Life

New Student Housing Application

Residency Requirement
All first and second-year students who live outside of a 25-mile radius from UToledo, including international students, are required to live on campus and participate in the meal plan program. Students who reside within a 25-mile radius can choose to live on campus, but it is not required.  UToledo requires a $100 enrollment deposit, and a $40 housing application fee (for students living on campus).  You can make these deposits as soon as you are admitted, deposits can be made through your MyUT portal, on the “New Student” tab. 

2023-24 Academic Year Application

  1. The University Housing Application for the 2023-24 academic year is available through your myUT portal.
  2. If you are attending UToledo for the first time, you must be officially admitted to the university in order to submit a housing application. Upon admittance, create your UTAD account on the myUT Portal. You will use your new UTAD to submit your enrollment deposit and access the housing application.
  3. Apply for housing early! The earlier you apply, the greater the chances to secure the room of your preference.
  4. A $40 non-refundable housing application fee is required of all new students to housing.
  5. Please note that the online housing application is the only one that we offer. If you do not have access to a computer or need assistance with your application, please contact the Office of Housing at 419.530.2941 or


Step 1: Apply

  • Access the University Housing application via the myUT portal by selecting "University Housing Application" under the Student tab.
  • Complete the necessary payment steps for both the $100 enrollment deposit and the $40 housing application fee.
  • Select the term "Fall 2023" (the housing contract is for the 2023-24 academic year, including both fall and spring semesters).
  • Select "Housing Application" from the menu at the top of the page for the steps necessary to complete the online housing application to be redirected to the Housing Application.

Step 2: Lease Signing

  • Monitor your University email account for your lease agreement.
  • Review and sign your lease agreement upon receival.

STEP 3: Find a Roommate

  • Monitor your University email for invitation to our RoomSync Roommate matching system.
  • View potential roommate profiles, and find a roommate match!

IMPORTANT: If you decide to change buildings or unit type you will need to sign an updated lease agreement.



What if I want to cancel prior to the semester starting?
If you are a new student no longer planning to attend for Fall 2023, you should submit a "New Student Not Planning to Attend" form through your myUT portal - New Student tab. If you are a returning student who is not planning to return, or if you are not required to live on campus and choose to cancel your University Housing contract, email with your request. When you email, please include your Rocket Number and explain your situation. Please note that cancellation fees may apply. 

What if I want to cancel during the semester?
You will need to submit a contract cancellation request. Please note that cancellation fees may apply. 

How do I know my application is complete?
There are multiple ways to check to ensure your application is complete.

1. You will be sent an automated email once you sign your lease agreement.
2. Your application status can be viewed within the Applications section of your Community Portal.


How do I find a roommate? 
Students with signed lease agreements will receive an email inviting them to register for RoomSync. RoomSync will allow residents to create a personal profile, provide suggested roommates based on compatibility, and allow residents to search for, message, and match with potential roommates.

Only students who have a signed lease agreement will be allowed to access RoomSync, including send or receive roommate requests.

What if I don’t choose a roommate? 
Choosing your roommate is optional. 

If you decide to change rooms prior to June 15, you must sign a new lease agreement. After June 15, you are unable to change your unit type or room assignment until the third week of classes in September.


Are there any fees for applying for housing?
Yes. All new students are required to make a payment of a non-refundable $40 housing application fee.

  • The one-time $40 non-refundable application fee will be applied to the student account of all students when completing their first application for on-campus housing.

What is the cost of housing for 2023-24?
Housing fees are billed in July for the fall semester. View the 2022-23 rates to give you an idea of typical rates. The 2023-24 rates will be posted in early spring. Students that enter the University for academic year 2023-24 will be considered as part of a cohort 2024 for which their tuition and fees, including housing cost, will be locked in for four years.

Can I mail in my payment?
No. All rent payments must be received online via the myUT Portal. If you cannot make payment online, contact the Office of Housing at 419.530.2941 or

Can my financial aid cover the housing application and pre-payment (deposit) fee?
No. In order to secure a housing assignment, we need the payment at the time of the application. If you are on a full-ride scholarship or cannot make payment online, contact the Office of Housing at 419.530.2941 or

What should I do if I cannot make the payment now?
All fees are required at the time of application. If you cannot make payment online, contact the Office of Housing at 419.530.2941 or


Do I have to be on a meal plan?
Yes! All students living in the residence halls are required to have a meal plan, except residents who live in McComas Village. Check out the Meal Plan page for meal plan options.


Last Updated: 2/8/23