Education Abroad Office

Funding Your Education Abroad:  Frequently Asked Questions

What types of aid can I use to fund my study abroad program?

Depending on your enrollment hours, most federal and state grants and loans can be used to finance international education expenses, including Pell Grants. Many campus based scholarships and grants can be used as well.

Some external loans may not be used for study abroad. It is ultimately the donor's decision how the scholarship is administered. Some departmental scholarships may also be excluded.

Loans are the largest source of financing for international education and can be redistributed to allow a student a larger disbursement for the semester in which they will participate in a program.

No. Grants and scholarships have a set maximum amount per semester that a student may receive.

UToledo priority deadline is February 1, but students interested in study abroad are strongly advised to complete and submit the application as soon as possible. The FAFSA opens on October 1 of the prior calendar year. Summer Financial Aid application is available from March through July. For more information, please visit Office of Financial Aid website.

Summer:                     March 15Academic Year:         April 1Fall:                                April 1Spring:                         November 1Spring Break:            January 15

To apply for the CISP Travel Grant, go to the International Travel Grant page.

No. According to federal regulations, financial aid will disburse 7 to 10 days prior to the term during which the international education program is scheduled.

Last Updated: 10/12/22