Center for International Studies and Programs

Travel Registry

The University values and encourages global exchange through international opportunities. The University monitors situations and implements recommendations to help protect members of the University community, recognizing that adverse risks exist through natural disasters, conflict, extremism, and worldwide epidemics.  In balancing these factors, the University relies on information from the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) travel notices, and the United States Department of State (DOS) Travel Warnings. With this information, the University has developed a Travel Registry and a recommendation governing educational and other international activities.

Coronavirus update - Updated 4/11/22

University-sponsored travel is permitted with proper approval.

Individuals who wish to travel to a country designated by the CDC as Level 3 (high risk) or Level 4 (very high risk) for COVID-19 must submit a request to the International Education Committee for approval.

Individuals who wish to travel to a country designated as Level 3 by the U.S. State Department must submit a request to the International Education Committee for approval. The University continues to restrict travel to countries designated Level 4 by the U.S. State Department for reasons other than COVID-19.

If you are fully vaccinated, you are not required to quarantine after returning home. If you are not fully vaccinated, you are required to complete a five-day quarantine before returning to campus.

Find the latest guidance and additional resources on the University’s coronavirus website.

Travel Petition Guidelines

The U.S. Department of State provides travel information for countries around the world. The department utilizes a "Travel Advisory Levels" system to assess travel.

  1. Exercise normal precautions
  2. Exercise increased caution
  3. Reconsider travel
  4. Do not travel

If the country you are traveling to has a CDC warning level of 3 or 4 for COVID-19, you must submit a request to the International Education Committee for approval. Understanding the cost of flights and time to organize an abroad program it is best to submit your travel petition no less than one month prior to your desired departure. The committee will convene in a timely manner to provide the opportunity for travel plan adjustments if your request is denied.

The committee will make a recommendation to the Office of the Provost for final approval.

Forms for request to travel to a State Department level "3" country are below:

Submit forms to the International Education Committee, via email to

View the US State Department Travel Advisories
View the CDC Travel Health Notices

Travel Registry

Information you will need prior to filling out the Travel Registry:

  • Flight information
  • Supervisor and Chair email
  • Emergency contact
  • Travel petition if you are traveling to a Level 3 country

Any individuals traveling overseas for university purpose or university related business must register their travel.

Student International Travel Registry

Faculty & Staff International Travel Registry

Here are some resources to assist you:

International Travel Registration by UToledo Employees or Students Policy

Countries of Concern

The University Countries of Concern list is derived from two sources: the U.S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security Export Administration Regulations (EAR) Country Groups D:1 (National Security) and E (Embargos), and the U.S. Department of the Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) Sanctions Programs.

  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Belarus
  • Burma
  • Burundi
  • Cambodia
  • Central African Republic
  • China
  • Congo
  • Cuba
  • Darfur
  • Georgia
  • Hong Kong
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Korea, North
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Laos
  • Lebanon
  • Libya
  • Macau
  • Mali
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Nicaragua
  • Russia
  • Somalia
  • Sudan, South
  • Syria
  • Tajikistan
  • Turkmenistan
  • Ukraine
  • Uzbekistan
  • Venezuela
  • Vietnam
  • Yemen
  • Zimbabwe

Travel to countries on the Countries of Concern list by University personnel is subject to additional review by the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (RSP) for exports and/or foreign transactions that may require approval from appropriate U.S. government agencies (Commerce, State, and/or Treasury). Note that the University Countries of Concern list is subject to change. Direct any questions regarding exports to and/or foreign transactions with entities in these countries to

State Department Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

Travelers are encouraged to enroll in the State Department Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP provides emergency information and support from the US Embassy in your host country.

International SOS

Travelers are encouraged to enroll in the International SOS. International SOS is a membership program offered through UToledo. Enrolled travelers will receive detailed safety and security information of their host country.

Instructions to enroll in International SOS:

  1. Click on Member Log in
  2. Type in 11BCAS000010
  3. Click on "Email Subscriptions"
  4. Register name and email
  5. Select countries both MED and NON-MED from which you would like email notifications.
  6. Click "save changes"


For UToledo Employees:

Through The University of Toledo's participation in the Inter-University Council Insurance Consortium (IUC-IC), UT faculty, staff, student interns and trustees (referred to as "Covered Persons") are provided foreign travel insurance from the AIG (Insurance Company of the State of Pennsylvania). The insurance provides coverage for general liability, excess auto liability, repatriation of remains and accident/sickness when traveling outside the U.S. and Canada for the purpose of conducting University business or fulfilling internship requirements.

For UToledo Students

Health and Safety Considerations

Prior to departure travelers are encouraged to review the health and safety considerations of the host country at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Please note the UToledo Health Science Campus is home to the International Travelers Clinic.  Information found here or call 419.383.3780.

In case of emergency, you can contact us at:

UToledo Police: 419.530.2600
Sara Clark: 330.714.6830

Have a great travel abroad!

Last Updated: 6/27/22