Risk Management and Workers' Compensation

Foreign Travel Insurance and Assistance Services


For Employees:

Through The University of Toledo's participation in the Inter-University Council Insurance Consortium (IUC-IC), UT faculty, staff, student interns and trustees (referred to as “Covered Persons”) are provided foreign travel insurance from the AIG (Insurance Company of the State of Pennsylvania). The insurance provides coverage for general liability, excess auto liability, repatriation of remains and accident/sickness when traveling outside the U.S. and Canada for the purpose of conducting University business or fulfilling internship requirements. Click here for information.

For Students:

Students are not covered by the AIG foreign travel insurance program. The University of Toledo, however, has negotiated a specially priced insurance policy specifically designed for the University student studying abroad. 

Unless the student is participating in an affiliated program where insurance coverage is part of the program’s registration fee, all University students are required to self-enroll and purchase the University designated policy at the Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI)) website. The discounted cost of the premium is only available at this University associated link.  Click here for information on enrolling and purchasing this coverage.

Students having questions concerning UT’s requirements for foreign insurance can contact:


For Employees - Travel Guard: This travel assistance service is available only to Covered Persons through the AIG foreign insurance program. Click here for information regarding the services available to Covered Persons. Make sure you take the Travel Guard WorldRisk Assistance Card (click here) with you when traveling abroad.  It provides the account and contact information you will need in order to access any assistance. 

For Employees - International SOS: This is an additional travel assistance service available to Covered Persons in the AIG insurance program. It is not an insurance program but can be used to help coordinate services with the AIG insurance program.  An important feature of International SOS is that it can arrange political (non-medical) evacuation, which is not part of the AIG program.  Click here for services provided by International SOS.  You need to carry the International SOS Membership Card (click here) that provides the membership number and contact information you will need in order to access any assistance.  

For Students - Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI): Once enrolled with CISI, students have access to travel assistance services provided by CISI.

Last Updated: 9/21/22