UToledo Human Resources

Retirement Systems


  • Staff positions automatically participate in the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS),
  • Faculty positions contribute to the State Teachers Retirement System (STRS), 
  • Law enforcement officers contribute to a special branch of OPERS for Law Enforcement Officers (LEO).
  • Full time employees also have the option to choose the Alternative Retirement Plan (ARP) instead of OPERS/LEO/STRS.  This must be elected within 120 days of start date.

The University’s contributions for OPERS, LEO, and/or STRS are fully vested after five years. This means that members will receive unreduced benefits at retirement age. For ARP members, vesting is immediate.

In addition to the required retirement contributions we also offer Voluntary 403b and 457b Retirement Plans.  These are plans that you can additionally contribute to, to save additional funds for your retirement.  Employee contributions are "deducted" by the University from the employee's gross pay and paid directly to the retirement systems, thereby enabling employees to defer current federal and state taxes on this income.

Retirement Workshops

University of Toledo Summer Series Lineup for Retirement

Multiple webinars and in person consultations available to help prepare and answer retirement questions over the summer.

  • TIAA Retirement Summer Series - June 16th - July 21st - August 18th - Register Here
  • Financial Consultation 1:1 sessions for TIAA Members - June 8th - Register Here

Women & Financial Wellness

We are happy to partner with TIAA on presenting the following financial wellness webinars. You do not need to be enrolled in a TIAA retirement plan to attend. You will sign in as a guest. 


OPERS forms
What is OPERS?: Ohio Public Employees Retirement System-All employees who are paid in whole or in part by the state of Ohio, a county, municipality, or any other political subdivision of state or local government in Ohio must become members of OPERS unless they are covered by another state retirement system in Ohio or by the Cincinnati Retirement System.  Membership begins from the first date of employment.

LEO PDF Handout
What is LEO: LEO is the Law Enforcement Public Safety Officers section of OPERS.  This is offered only to our law enforcement officers within the University or Hospital.


STRS Forms
What is STRS?: State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio is one of the nation’s leading retirement systems, serving about 500,000 active, inactive and retired Ohio public educators. 

ARP-Alternative Retirement Plans (401a)

Vendor Contact List and Codes
ARP Plan Document
ARP Enrollment Form
What is ARP?:
The ARP plans are considered a 401a type retirement plan.  This option gives you the choice to seek out the option to invest your money into mutual funds with one of our vendors off our Vendor Contact list above.  You have 120 days from your hire date to choose this option.  This option is only available to full time employees.

Retirement Benefit Plan Eligibility

Retirement benefit plan eligibility is based upon the appropriate plan in which an employee participates.  The following defines the age and/or service requirements under each plan to be eligible for retirement under the State of Ohio Retirement System.

Requirements to Receive Distributions

 OPERS/LEO Traditional Pension Member Directed
Unreduced -*65 years of age with 5 years of State of OH Public service
-*Any age with 30 years of State of OH Public service
-*Age 55 – no service requirement.
Reduced -*60 years of age with 5 years of State of OH Public service -*55 years of age with 25 years of State of OH Public service
-*Any age with 30 years of State of OH Public service
 STRS Defined Benefit Combined Plan Defined Contribution
Unreduced -*65 years of age with 5 years of State of OH Public service
-*Any age with 34 years of State of OH Public service
-Eligible for defined benefit payments at age 60 with five years of service. -Age 50 – no service requirement
Reduced -*55 years of age with 29 years of State of OH Public service
-*60 years of age with 5 years of State of OH Public service
-*Any age with 30 years of State of OH Public service
-Confirm with https://www.strsoh.org/




-Any age (withdrawals made before age 59½ may be subject to an additional federal penalty) 


Retirement System Contributions (effective 7/2022)

Retirement Plan  Employee Contribution (mandatory)  Employer Contribution
 STRS  14%  14%
 Faculty-ARP  14%  14%
(11.09% to Plan, 2.91% Administrative Fee*)
 OPERS/LEO  10%  14%
 Staff-ARP  10%  14%
(11.76% to Plan, 2.24% Administrative Fee*)
   *Employer ARP Mitigating Contribution.  This Rate will adjust downward on 7/1/2022

Voluntary Plans

What is a Voluntary Retirement Plans (VRP)?: It is a plan that allows employees to put aside money into an investment account, which can build income for retirement. Since contributions are taken from your salary before taxes are deducted, you receive an immediate tax-break. Your current taxable income is lowered for the year. Investing through the VRP only reduces your pay for income tax purposes; it does not affect how pay raises are calculated or any other benefits that are based upon pay.

Employees who are on a 9-month appointment will have 19 deductions per calendar year, and 12-month employees will have 26 deductions per calendar year. Deductions will begin on the pay date you indicate, if received within the payroll-processing deadline.  Student Employees are not eligible for a 403b plan.

For Guidance on rolling over your Sick/Vacation pay to your 403b or 457b when you retire, check out the Prepping to Retire Tab Above

You may sign up for a VRP, discontinue or make changes to your current VRP at any time during the year. To sign up for a VRP, please complete the following steps:

403b Voluntary Plan

Please visit Retirement@Work to enroll, unenroll or make changes to your VRP.  Please note you must have an account set up with your preferred Vendor listed in the contact PDF above before enrolling at Retirement@work.

Retirement@Work User Guide
403b Step by Step Walkthrough
Vendor Comparison Guide 
Vendor Contact Information
TIAA Enrollment Guide
Universal Availability Notice

457b Voluntary Plan

For more information about the 457 and how to enroll, please review the materials and ODC website.
EZ Enrollment Form
457b Step by Step Walkthrough

Statement Concerning Your Employment in a Job Not Covered by Social Security

Your earnings from this job are not covered under Social Security. When you retire, or if you become disabled, you may receive a pension based on earnings from this job. If you do, and you are also entitled to a benefit from Social Security based on either your own work or the work of your husband or wife, or former husband or wife, your pension may affect the amount of the Social Security benefit you receive. Your Medicare benefits, however, will not be affected. Under the Social Security law, there are two ways your Social Security benefit amount may be affected.

Windfall Elimination Provision

Under the Windfall Elimination Provision, your Social Security retirement or disability benefit is figured using a modified formula when you are also entitled to a pension from a job where you did not pay Social Security tax. As a result, you will receive a lower Social Security benefit than if you were not entitled to a pension from this job. For example, if you are age 62 in 2005, the maximum monthly reduction in your Social Security benefit as a result of this provision is $313.50. This amount is updated annually. This provision reduces, but does not totally eliminate, your Social Security benefit. For additional information, please refer to Social Security Publication, “Windfall Elimination Provision.”

Government Pension Offset Provision

Under the Government Pension Offset Provision, any Social Security spouse or widow(er) benefit to which you become entitled will be offset if you also receive a Federal, State or local government pension based on work where you did not pay Social Security tax. The offset reduces the amount of your Social Security spouse or widow(er) benefit by two-thirds of the amount of your pension.

 For example, if you get a monthly pension of $600 based on earnings that are not covered under Social Security, two-thirds of that amount, $400, is used to offset your Social Security spouse or widow(er) benefit. If you are eligible for a $500 widow(er) benefit, you will receive $100 per month from Social Security ($500 - $400=$100). Even if your pension is high enough to totally offset your spouse or widow(er) Social Security benefit, you are still eligible for Medicare at age 65. For additional information, please refer to Social Security Publication, “Government Pension Offset.”

For More Information

Social Security publications and additional information, including information about exceptions to each provision, are available at www.socialsecurity.gov. You may also call toll free 1-800-772-1213, or for the deaf or hard of hearing call the TTY number 1-800-325-0778, or contact your local Social Security office.

 Information about Social Security

Statement Concerning Your Employment in a Job Not Covered by Social Security

 New legislation [Section 419(c) of Public Law 108-203, the Social Security Protection Act of 2004] requires State and local government employers to provide a statement to employees hired January 1, 2005 or later in a job not covered under Social Security. The statement explains how a pension from that job could affect future Social Security benefits to which they may become entitled.

 Form SSA-1945, Statement Concerning Your Employment in a Job Not Covered by Social Security, is the document that employers should use to meet the requirements of the law. The SSA-1945 explains the potential effects of two provisions in the Social Security law for workers who also receive a pension based on their work in a job not covered by Social Security. The Windfall Elimination Provision can affect the amount of a worker’s Social Security retirement or disability benefit. The Government Pension Offset Provision can affect a Social Security benefit received as a spouse or an ex-spouse.

 Employers must:

  • Give the statement to the employee prior to the start of employment;
  • Get the employee’s signature on the form; and
  • Submit a copy of the signed form to the pension paying agency.

 Social Security will not be setting any additional guidelines for the use of this form.

 Copies of the SSA-1945 are available online at the Social Security website. Paper copies can be requested by email at or by fax at 410-965-2037. The request must include the name, complete address and telephone number of the employer. Forms will not be sent to a post office box. Also, if appropriate, include the name of the person to whom the forms are to be delivered. The forms are available in packages of 25. Please refer to Inventory Control Number (ICN) 276950 when ordering.

Are You Ready to Retire?

There are important factors to consider when you are looking to retire. Working with your retirement vendors and HR will help you through the process and ensure you have a smooth transition to retirement. The retirement age for additional UToledo retiree  programs is age 65.

If you are preparing to retire within the next several months please check out several items listed below that can help assist you on this pathway.

Preparing to Retire
Employment Walkthrough
Sick/Vacation Payout Rollover Information to the 403b or 457b

Program 60-Tuition
Retiree Parking
Recreation Center
Discounted UT Tickets

A New Beginning
Lifestyle Planning
Financial Basics
Retirement Planning Basics

Social Security's Website
Medicare's Website

Please check to see when our next Retirement Planning session is scheduled. 


Questions in general?  Here is a list of common FAQs that may answer your questions.  If not please feel free to contact us at benefits@utoledo.edu or 419-530-4747.

How much Sick Time will I get paid-out?

Policy 3364-25-123 states: [AAR1] Cash Benefit Conversion of Sick Leave Upon Retirement Employees with ten (10) or more years of service with the state (service as defined by a State of Ohio retirement system excluding non-Ohio purchased time) shall be compensated in an amount not to exceed one-fourth of accrued but unused sick leave credit, based upon the individual’s annual rate of compensation at the time of retirement up to a maximum payment of two hundred-forty (240) hours.  Please read the policy for exact details and eligibility.  

 At what age am I considered retired by the policy above?

OPERS participant-65 years old or 30 years of OH Public Service

STRS participant -65 years old or 34 years of OH Public service

ARP participant -65 years old

Does the University contribute to Social Security on my behalf?

No. As a state employer your typical social security deductions are placed in your retirement plan.   Additional details can be found here regarding this statement. Please note we DO, however, contribute to Medicare on your behalf. 

Can I rollover my Sick/Vacation to my 403b or 457b when I retire?

Yes, you may rollover these funds into a 403b or 457b account.  You will need to ensure you have the account set up with one of our approved vendors. This addition is  subject to the yearly total maximum contribution.  In order to ensure this rolls over properly, please  enter the contribution amount you want rolled over into Retirement@Work or through Ohio Deferred Compensation, the day after your last regular pay.  This will ensure it goes on your final vacation payout which is estimated to be around a month after your last regular pay.

How Does OPERS disburse my funds once I contribute?

This is a question you will need to discuss with OPERS.  When it comes to your OPERS account it is specific per person and we are not privy to the specific details of OPERS contribution split outs (contributions to your health benefits, how things will be calculated etc).  You can reach OPERS at: 1-800-222-7377

I am enrolled in benefits at the university, do I have to enroll in Medicare while still working at UT?

No, you may wait to enroll once you retire.  We can complete any Medicare forms from the government stating you have credible coverage so you are not penalized for not enrolling at the age of 65.

What Happens to my retirement money if I want to return to the University?

Re-Employed Retirees should fill out the Notice of Re-Employment of an OPERS Benefit Recipient form.

OPERS retirees who become re-employed on a full-time basis by a public university or college have the option of participating in OPERS and contributing toward a Money Purchase Plan account or they may be eligible to participate in an Alternative Retirement Plan (ARP).

Re-employed retirees who change their employment status with a public institution or college from part-time to full-time may also be eligible to participate in an ARP. Your college or university employer will provide you with the necessary forms to make this election.

The election to participate in an ARP must be completed within 120 days from the date of re-employment or change in status from part-time to full-time. This election is irrevocable while you remain employed by the public institution or college and you will not contribute to OPERS for this service. Please contact benefits for more information on this option. Refer to Re-Employment on the OPERS website for information on how re-employment might affect your pension and your benefits.

What happens if I retire and decide to come back to work? How will it affect my retirement benefits? 

If you have “retired” before the age of 65 and come back to work with the university some of your benefits will not be payable to you through OPERs/STRS while you are working.  Please review this process over with OPERs/STRS before making any decisions.

How long do I have to work for UT to retire with maximum benefits?

The charts in the OPERS/LEO, STRS & ARP section can clarify this for you. https://www.utoledo.edu/depts/hr/total-rewards/retirement/

Will I be able to keep my UT email if I retire?

Faculty and staff members who are no longer employed by UT will no longer be able to gain access to their mailbux, with the exception of retired employees with 10 or more years of service. All other services (One Drive, Office Online, etc) will be discontinued. Note: The University reserves the right to remove and not reinstate your mailbox if your UTAD password is not kept up-to-date and has expired. Because logging into your mailbox requires your UTAD user ID and password, UT assumes that you are no longer using your mailbox. Refer to this chart for further details.

When should I start getting ready to retire? (notify manager, call OPERS, etc)

Review over our Prepping to Retire Tab on our page:

What is the Long Term Disability retirement process? 

This depends on which program you are applying. Please see the links below describing the methods and if you have questions past this please don’t hesitate to call:

General UT: https://www.utoledo.edu/depts/hr/total-rewards/benefits/long-term-disability.html                

OPERS: https://www.opers.org/disability/

STRS: https://www.strsoh.org/actives/teaching/disability.html

I had  OPERS, or STRS at my prior employer, do  I need to do enroll when I start at UT? 

If you are eligible through OPERS/STRS through us, you are automatically enrolled at hire. Your funds stay within those systems so you will not need to do anything additional. 

Last Updated: 5/23/23