Office of Student Engagement

Food at Events


Preferred Vendor

Crave Catering with Rocket Dining has first right of refusal for any on-campus catering. To request catering online, visit the Crave Catering with Rocket Dining website, or call 800.586.5336.

Outside Vendor

If a student organization is having any outside food brought on campus, they must complete a Food Waiver and attach *copies of:

  • Itemized foodservice quote from each desired vendor
  • Foodservice licenses for each vendor
  • Liability insurance for each vendor

Food waivers are not guaranteed. If denied, the organization will be required to use Crave Catering and discontinue the use of food at the event. *Pre-packaged foods (chips and store-bought dip, veggie platters from a grocery store, etc.) do not require additional documentation.

Temporary Food License

Selling food or charging an admission fee?

You may be required to purchase a Temporary Food License through the Toledo Lucas County Health Department. The most common examples are philanthropy dinners or any event where you have to prepare food on site. For more information, please call Toledo Lucas County Health Department at 419.213.4100, ext. 3.

Food Handling Help Articles

Bake Sales

If a student organization sells baked goods or any other food item as a fundraiser (including a table in the Student Union), all applicable sanitation guidelines and health code regulations must be followed. A Temporary Food Vendor's License is required if there is a set price for a good. A license is not required if the sale of a good is by donation (donation price cannot be set). Also, the following guidelines must be adhered to:

  • Baked goods must be individually wrapped and labeled. Items such as pies and cakes must be covered with a lid or plastic wrap. Labels must include the following:
    • The common name of the food product
    • Ingredients in descending order by weight
    • Net weight or net volume of the food product
    • The following statement must be in no less than a 10-point type “This product is home produced.”
  • No liquid refreshments may be sold, including coffee, tea, etc.
  • No electrical appliances such as warmers may be used.
  • The sale area must be kept in an orderly appearance throughout the sale period and must be restored to its normal appearance immediately following the sale.
  • Items that are sold cannot require temperature control.
  • Bake-sales may not exceed 7 business days.
  • The sale of any other item other than baked goods requires a Temporary Food License

Food trucks

Bringing food trucks to campus for a student organization event will involve several steps:

  • Select food trucks. We recommend starting with the Toledo Food Trucks Association.
  • Submit a Special Event Parking form through Parking Services to make sure an area or lot is available for the trucks.
  • If you are using your University budget to pay for the food trucks, then you will need to go through the contract process for each truck (at least 10 weeks before the event date).
  • Submit a food waiver to Crave Catering with Rocket Dining for each truck. Food waivers for the usage of food trucks are not guaranteed (please see the "Catering" section at the top of the page for further information).
  • Coordinate payment with the Dean of Students Accountant (if using a University budget).

If you plan to have food trucks, please include this information when you submit your event in InvoNet. The OSE Events Coordinator will work with you to make sure all pieces are complete.

Last Updated: 7/15/24