Office of Student Involvement & Leadership

Music & Movies at Events


  • Contact WXUT first for DJ availability using the WXUT DJ Service Request and Waiver Form.
  • If available, the student organization must use WXUT DJ services.
  • If not available, student organizations must provide proof from WXUT that request was submitted.
  • All necessary DJ service packet/forms must be on file at least 4 weeks prior to the event. WXUT reserves the right to decline services if forms are received less than 4 weeks prior to the event.
  • DJ service packet includes: Verification of WXUT DJ Service Request and Waiver FormDJ service contract, and W-9
  • The maximum amount of payment allowable for outside DJ services is $50 per hour of service unless approved by the Dean of Students or designee.


  • Sound levels and amplification must not interfere with the regular functioning of the University or the welfare of residential neighbors.
  • If music is used inside the Student Union (e.g., for tabling), be respectful of others nearby so that all students benefit from each group present.
  • For more information, the full Amplified Sound on Campus policy can be found here.


  • The right to play certain songs in a public space (e.g., at a student organization event) is protected by copyright law and licensing agreements.
  • Currently, UT has rights with BMISESAC, and ASCAP songs and artists. Any song or artist listed under these licensing agencies can be used at a student organization event.
  • However, UT does NOT have rights with GMR. Students should not play any songs on this list or from artists listed on this website.

Movie Rights

The right to play movies in a public space (e.g., at a student organization event) is protected by copyright law (Title 17, United States Code).

Copyright law controls our ability to use and display movies within a "public" performance setting. 

More information regarding showing movies on campus can be found here:

Last Updated: 6/27/22